Chapter 12: Coming Home

Friday came quicker than I think any of us would have liked; Jeremy was so filled with anxiety about going home that he had begun having nightmares. He had refused to tell me about them and I only found out because Hazel accidentally let it slip but immediately begged me not to tell him. 

On Thursday evening, I went over the the Fullers' house to help them clean up and make sure all the adjustments they were making were properly set up; they had purchased large puffy stickers in the shape of letters to place on rooms that Jeremy might need more assistance finding, such as his bedroom and bathrooms. 

We also tidied up the house so that there was nothing on the floors that he could trip over and I was put in charge of cleaning his room up so that he wouldn't be at risk for tripping over anything in there, either. It was overwhelming to be standing in there, his room so familiar and reminding me of all the times we'd been in here together, laughing and snuggling and joking around with each other. It hurt my heart to know that, while not everything about our relationship together was different, a lot of things would be changing. I tried not to think too much after that.

Jeremy was going to be discharged at 1:00pm on Friday, so I'd still be in school. I told him that, as much as I'd love to be there when he was first arriving home, I couldn't afford to miss any more school after missing a bunch when he was first hospitalized. He said that he understood, and seemed content with the fact that I'd come to see him at home as soon as school was over.

That day at school was the second one that week that I wasn't able to concentrate at all throughout the day, my nerves for Jeremy running high as I constantly checked my phone for updates from Hazel or Miranda; who had both promised to keep me updated.

Around 1:45pm, 20 minutes before school ended, I got a text from Hazel saying that he was home... apparently it hadn't gone all that well and her parents were suffocating him with their need to help. Jeremy had snapped and tried to walk out, only to trip over furniture and eventually had to allow Hazel to guide him up the stairs to his room where she had just left him alone upon his request and rushed to text me. 

My heart began pounding as I read each word and I could hear the blood rushing in my ears. This was exactly what I'd been worried about; Jeremy not telling people what his limits were and then things blowing up in a way that helped nobody. The next 20 minutes could not have passed more slowly as I waited anxiously for the bell to ring so I could go to see Jeremy.

When the bell finally rang, I rushed to the bathroom to change out of my uniform, then grabbed my things from my locker and rushed to my car. Thankfully, it wasn't too far of a drive to Jeremy's house, and I managed to get there in 10 minutes. I hesitated outside the door, not sure if I should knock or text Hazel to let her know I was there. My question went unanswered as the front door flung open to reveal Hazel, herself there.

She gestured for me to come in, "I saw your car pull in so I figured I'd just let you in and not risk disturbing my parents, they're in the kitchen and I know my mom's really upset"

She spoke the second part quietly and I nodded, trying to sneak by the kitchen quietly but I made eye contact with Ms. Fuller, who was sitting tearfully at the kitchen table.

When we made I contact, she flew out of her chair and rushed to greet me, "Rachel, I'm so glad you're here. I don't know what happened but one second I thought we were helping and the next he's yelling at us and tripping over the couch and -"

I cut her off with a hug; it was obvious how hard she'd been taking this whole situation but I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be for her to have to see her child go through this. 

After a moment she pulled back and wiped her eyes, trying to compose herself, "you can go on up and see him now, dear. You're welcome to stay for dinner too, of course" She painted her warm, motherly smile back on her face.