Chapter 6: Don't Leave Me

Listen to song above, this is what I listened to for the most part while writing this chapter, especially near the end so please listen

I frantically ran to my car, ignoring everyone calling after me as I sped out of the parking lot and raced to the hospital, dangerously close to surpassing the speed limit. I didn't really care, though. The only thing I cared about was Jeremy. Oh god, I couldn't even think straight with all of the horrible thoughts rushing through my brain.

The drive to the hospital was about 10 minutes, but I managed to make it there in 7. I quickly parked the car in the visitors lot and leapt out, the car barely in park before I exited. I entered the hospital through the emergency room entrance 2, dashing to the front desk and demanding to know where he was, "Jeremy Fuller? He was admitted about an hour ago? Please can someone help I need to know where he is! Jeremy Fuller, please."

The nurses and clerks were trying to calm me down and assure me that they'd try to find something out but nothing was helping.

"Rachel?" I heard a voice behind me.

I spun around to see Hazel standing there, her hair in a messy ponytail and mascara streaks on her face.

"Hazel!" I swiftly embraced her in a tight hug, "wha-what happened? Where is he? Can I see him? What-"

She cut me off, "We can't see him, he's upstairs in surgery and examinations right now. Mom sent me down to see if you were here yet. She can explain better than I can what happened, come on"

Numb, I followed Hazel to the elevators where she silently pressed the button for floor 2. My heart stopped, 2nd Floor was the Intensive Care Unit. Oh my god what happened to him.

"Hazel..." I started, hoping to get something, anything out of her.

She cut me off with a simple shake of her head, her glossy eyes staring at the doors.

I bit my lip and mentally willed the doors to open. Moments later, they parted open to reveal a long hallway filled with gurneys, iv poles, nurses, doctors, families, and many, many crying people. I couldn't stand it. There was too much sadness, it overwhelmed me. I felt tears welling up in my eyes again. Suddenly, I felt a soft hand on my arm. I looked down to see Hazel's face looking back at me, a sad smile on her makeup-stained face. I offered a small smile back and we walked down the hallway together, trying not to look at the saddened faces of others. As we rounded the corner I spotted Mr. and Mrs. Fuller and ran up to them, dropping Hazel's hand. When I approached, Mrs. Fuller peeked up from her husband's shoulder, a flash of relief crossing her face as she jumped up to hug me.

"Oh Rachel" she sobbed into my shirt.

Shocked, I returned the hug for a few seconds before pulling away to ask the question I've been yearning to learn the answer to, "Miranda... what happened?" I could feel the fear creeping into my mind once again as she gave me a grave look.

"He was in a car accident, sweetie. There was a drunk driver who swerved into his lane. He couldn't avoid it, it hit him head on."

The tears poured freely down my face as the reality of Jeremy being in a car wreck left me terrified, "How is he, is he hurt? Can I see him? What-" once again I was cut off.

"He's in surgery, we haven't seen him, he's been in there since we got the call. All they've told us is that he's in a serious condition" Howard filled in, pulling his wife back into his arms.

I stood still, not being able to believe what I was being told. 'This is ridiculous' I thought, 'I'm dreaming, that's what this is. I'm gonna wake up and call him and everything will be fine' I quickly shook my head, sat down two seats away from Howard and Miranda, and pinched my arm a few times. Once it became clear that I wasn't waking up, the reality of the situation set in and I broke down in sobs, uncontrollably crying until I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around me. Peering up from my knees, I saw Aiden's pained face and glossy eyes. Without hesitation, I leapt up and wrapped my arms fully around him, sobbing into his shoulder. Wordlessly, he held me and let me cry. I felt another pair of arms wrap around me from the back and, without turning around to see, I knew it was Chase. The two boys who had known my Jeremy since they were in peewee football were comforting and holding me no matter how much pain they must have been in. I may have loved him but they loved him more in a completely different way and it was this realization that sent me into a whole other fit of body-wracking sobs.