Chapter 25

TINSLEY

Clay and Gemma's house is the first stop after the wheels of our plane touch down in Stockton.

Gemma has pulled Jax out to the backyard in secret while I rummage around the refrigerator for some food for Abel.

I grab a container of yogurt, checking the expiration date as Opie walks into the kitchen. "Can I ask you something?" He asks. I can tell he's nervous.

"Sure, Op." I nod, pulling a spoon out of the drawer and take Abel and the yogurt to the table. I sit down with my son in my lap and begin to feed him. "What's going on?" I ask when my brother doesn't say anything else.

He takes the seat across from me, awkwardly pulling at the black beanie covering his mess of hair. "Lyla and me..." He trails off.

"I think she's sweet." I smile, hoping to encourage my brother. "She seems great with Ellie and Kenny."

"Yeah. She is." Opie agrees and I can tell there's more he's not sharing.

"But she makes her living sucking dick, and I'm sensing that's a problem for you." I say.

"Donna begged me to give up the life." He pauses as the thought of his dead wife. "I guess now I know how that feels. I got no right asking her to give up her porn shit."

"No." I agree. "Unless you marry her." I suggest.

Opie looks at me like I've lost my mind. "She needs security, Op." I say, placing another spoonful of yogurt into Abel's waiting mouth. "Marry her and my guess is she starts working with her legs closed."

"You kiss Jax with that mouth?" My brother smiles with a shake of his head.

I smirk in response. "I do more than that." I wink.

"Jesus Christ." Opie runs his hand over his face in disgust. "That was more than I needed to know."

"Hey." I shrug. "You asked."

He smiles, getting up from the table. "Yeah. That'll never happen again."

Opie leans down to press a kiss to my cheek. "Thanks for the talk, Tins."

"Anytime." I smile, leaning into his scruffy beard. "Go get the girl, Op."

My brother leaves the house and Jax and Gemma are still outside. I'm cleaning the yogurt from Abel's face when my phone rings.

A Charming area code flashes across the screen but it's not a number I have saved. "Hello?" I ask, deciding to answer the call after the fourth ring.

"Tinsley Winston?" A male voice asks.

"This is she." I frown. "May I ask who's calling?"

"It's Jacob Hale."

My mood shifts at the name Hale and I'm flooded with sadness. "I'm so sorry about David, Jacob. Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you or your family."

"Actually, that's why I called." He says. "I wanted to talk to you about David; discuss some things he wanted you to know."

"Ok." I nod, growing worried. "When's a good time for you?"

"Now, actually." Jacob says. "I'm at the office and about to take my lunch. Why don't you swing by?"

"Yeah." I agree. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

Hale Development Agency is all but empty when I arrive 20 minutes later. When I went outside to leave Abel with Jax and Gemma, I know I interrupted something important but I have no time to dwell on it now.