Chapter 26

JAX

My eyes open the next morning and I glance around the still dark room. Tinsley is in my arms, asleep, and I thank God that she's still here with me.

I stare at her for a few moments longer before she begins to stir. "Hey." I whisper, smiling as she tries to rub the sleep from her eyes.

"Morning." She mumbles. Her eyes flutter closed again and for a second I think she's going back to sleep.

Her large brown eyes open again and lock with my blue ones. "Morning." I lean down to press a kiss to the tip of her nose. "I love you."

"I love you." Tinsley smiles, snuggling against my chest.

"I love you too, son." I say as my hand brushes against her stomach.

Tinsley shakes her head with a smirk. "You don't know that."

"I have a feeling." I tell her. She stares at me, not saying a word and I get worried. "What is it?"

After a moment, she reaches up, cupping my cheek. "Whatever happens today, I'm right here."

"I know." I nod, tenderly pressing my lips against hers.

I hold Tinsley tight in my arms as we continue to kiss and I try not to think of the day to come.

Hours later we're in the clubhouse surrounded by family and friends. The mood is carefree as we celebrate the return of my son.

Clay places the reaper beanie we found on the boat weeks ago back on Abel's head and everyone cheers.

I stand up to embrace my stepdad. "I'm so happy for you." He says, clapping me on the back.

"Thank you." I smile, letting myself enjoy the momentary happiness.

"Hey!" Opie shouts, commanding the room's attention. "Lyla's got something she wants to say."

"We're getting married!" She squeals. She holds up her left hand, flashing everyone her new engagement ring.

I punch Opie's shoulder and give him a tight hug as Tinsley stands from her seat at the table. She looks at Lyla's ring before wrapping her arms around her.

"You're next, brother." Opie says as we watch our Old Ladies.

"I'm thinking about it." I tell him, a smirk crossing my face.

Opie lets out a laugh. "It's about damn time."

Two hours later, I'm waiting for Stahl at the cemetery. Although it's not even lunch yet, the party at the clubhouse this morning feels like a lifetime ago.

"You're late." I grumble as I catch sight of her walking across the lawn toward the mausoleum where I wait.

"I just came from your mother." Stahl explains. "She's in the cage at Charming P.D. She tried to turn herself in and shit on our deal."

Shaking my head, a hiss passes through my lips. "Goddamn it!"

"Doesn't matter." Stahl says. "She's been cleared of all the murder charges."

"How?" I ask, shifting from one foot to the other in surprise.

The ATF agent places her hands on her hips before fixing me with a hard glare. "Well, Tyler confessed before she died. Told me everything that Gemma said in her statement was true."