The Escape

Kaitlyn waited until she heard the soft snore of her mother to start packing her things. She slowly moves the blankets back, her white night dress falling to her ankles as she stands.

Tiptoeing, she makes her way into the kitchen. Kaitlyn grabs what is left of the bread and wraps it up in the bread cloth. Next, she grabs the cast iron skillet, along with a water jug and her father's hunting knife, for protection.

Constance did seem to hate her daughter, but she would not be happy when she awoke and Kaitlyn was missing. She would alert the whole town, and sooner or later, Kaitlyn would be back home.

It was easier to stick to the forest along the road. The plan was to find her way into another town. She was honestly going to miss her mother, but she longed for freedom.

She snuck back into the bedroom shared by her and her mother, and cautiously grabbed two of her dresses, a thick blanket, a bag, and her boots. Kaitlyn stuck her finer dress in the bag, along with the water jug and her skillet. She set the knife in on the side with the butt of the handle sticking out, where she had easy access to it.

She left the bedroom, and stepped into the main body of the cabin to change into her dress. When she had her dress on, she laid her night gown on top of the skillet. She grabbed the bread off of the counter, placed it in the bag, and closed it up.

With her bag on her shoulder, boots in hand, and blanket in her arms, she walked to the barn where her mother held all of her horses. Kaitlyn's favorite was the painted horse, Sunny. She had a mixture of white, grey, and a beautiful yellow, with spots ranging from light brown to black covering her body.

Kaitlyn threw her saddle onto Sunny's back, and placed her blanket in one of the saddle bags. She lead Sunny up to the steps of the porch, and went inside to gather up more food.
When she returned outside with enough food to survive for a week, maybe two weeks if she rationed, she carefully put on her boots and mounted the animal.

After she trotted to the road, she looked back at the cabin she had shared with her mother. Her mother had never hit her, she had never starved her, but she had deprived her of love and affection. She had no freedom, and served as a house slave.

For once, Kaitlyn longed to do as she pleased, to rely on no one, and to escape her mother. She wanted freedom, and that night, she had it.