Chief's Charms

Great Wolf tucked the folded up leather into his pocket. He knew that his white woman would appreciate this small gift. If she was already a member of the tribe, the gift would have signified the beginning of their courtship.

White Wolf had shown that she was a hard worker, and she was grateful for his help, even if she had thrown a fit when she first awoke in the medicine house.

He walked to his hut and when he didn't see White Wolf, he assumed she had ran off. He quickly ran into the house, and looked around. He calmed down when he saw that everything was cleaner than he left it, and he had clothes folded next to his sleeping mats. Mother Bear had been in the house, which meant that his white woman had not ran off.

Great Wolf found White Wolf at Mother Bears hut. He saw that Mother Bear was teaching the white woman the Choctaw tongue, and once again, she was eager to learn.

"Halito, Ishka Nito, Tohbi Nashoba," Great Wolf greeted the women.

"Hello, Great Wolf," Mother Bear said in return, "where have you been this morning? White Wolf has already cleaned your home, and refilled the water jugs. How productive have you been?" Mother Bear teased the chief.

"She has done that? I thought it was you, Mother Bear?"

"No, it was White Wolf. She has also been practicing our language, so be careful what you say around her," Ishka Nita laughed, and smiled at her new student, eyes twinkling. Great Wolf looked down at the seated white woman. White Wolf shyly smiled back.

"Well, Tohbi Nashoba, I am happy you are learning our ways."

Kaitlyn only picked up on her name, happy, and learning, but she could fit the pieces together. She smiled and said a quiet thanks to the chief. She was nervous around him, and she did not know for certain why. She was aware that he was at a very high social standing in the tribe, not to mention he was gorgeous, even compared to white men.

"I have something for you," Great Wolf said in her language.

Great Wolf watched as the white woman furrowed her brow in confusion. She did not know why he had gotten her anything, that much was evident.

He kneeled down to her level and took out the leather from his pocket. Kaitlyn watched as his hands unfolded the soft leather wrapping.

The chief looked up at White Wolf as he moved the last fold of the leather. When the piece of jewelry was fully exposed, she glanced up at him, her eyes bright.

"Thank you, Great Wolf," Kaitlyn said in his tongue. She did not know how to say much in the native language, so she just said, "It is beautiful," in hers.

Great Wolf nodded. He was happy she approved of his gift.

"Ah, Chito Nashoba, a courting gift so early? You have to stake claim to her before anyone else, I see," Mother Bear laughed.

The chief chuckled as he placed the leather wrapping in his pocket. "Yes, Ishka Nita. Do you really believe that such a beautiful woman will go unnoticed by the men in the tribe for long? I have to claim her first, mother."

Kaitlyn's brows furrowed. Mother Bear had pointed out a young couple when they played their game, and now used the same word with Great Wolf, referring to her. She dismissed it, assuming she heard them wrong. They had in fact been talking much faster than she was used to hearing.

"Minti, Tohbi Nashoba."

Kaitlyn moved to Great Wolf, and he swept her braids over her shoulders. He placed the beautiful green stoned necklace around her neck, and fastened the hook.

The leaf shaped stone sat just above the opening of her top. The beautiful green and white beads laid on top of her collarbones. All in all, the necklace was beautiful.

"Thank you."

The chief nodded. He admired how the necklace made her blue eyes pop. She looked beautiful in it. Great Wolf knew that there would never be another woman like this one in their tribe.

"Mother Bear, do you mind if I take White Wolf with me? I would like to show her where I like my things in the chukka."

"Take her, Great Wolf. She needs to learn. Bring her back, though. I would like to teach her more."

"Yes, Mother Bear," Great Wolf replied.

He gently touched Kaitlyn's shoulder. She looked up at him, her cheeks rosy. He motioned for her to come with him. She stood, and walked to his side. He shook his head, and told her that she had to walk behind him. That was the way of the Choctaw people. Women always walked behind the men.

Kaitlyn eyed him. That was ridiculous. She should be able to walk beside him, she did not want to walk behind him. Kaitlyn decided it was best to do as he said for now, because she did not want to get herself into even more trouble.

Great Wolf lead her into his home, and moved the water jugs against the wall by the door. He moved a few more minor things, and told Kaitlyn that this was how he wanted it.

"What was wrong with it before?" Kaitlyn asked. Was her cleaning and rearangment not nice enough? She did it without being asked, she did it to show her gratitude for saving her, and it wasn't good enough?

"No, I like this way," Great Wolf spoke in her language, his accent heavy.

"Well I don't."

Great Wolf took in her appearance. She held her chin high, and crossed her arms across her chest. That action caused the top of her breasts to peak through her top.

Great Wolf stepped forward, a soft look on his face. He brushed his fingertips along her arm, where it meets the shoulder.

"My bird, do this for me."

Kaitlyn didn't really know what he had said, just that he had called her a bird. She sighed. Kaitlyn knew that he didn't want to hurt her, but she just didn't belong there.

Sure, she enjoyed Mother Bears presence and motherly teachings, but she was not like them. She had different morals, traditions, and religious beliefs. She needed to be with people who had the same social system as her.

For now, she would behave. She would do what she was told, and give them no reason to distrust her. When she was able to do things on her own without being watched, she would escape, and this time, she would know how to survive in the wild.

I think we all know how Kaitlyn feels. Should she stay with the tribe, they do treat her nicely. Should she go to her people, that is where she is from, where she wants to go. Oh well, only time will tell.