Companionship Part 2

Ishka Nita lead White Wolf into her chukka. She pulled out several pairs of women's beaded moccasins. She handed them to the girl, motioning for her to try them on.

When she had a pair that fit her, Mother Bear lead her outside with the other girls. She made Kaitlyn sit down, and she began to comb her hair. When her long dark hair was tangle free, the woman pulled aloe from a nearby plant, and rubbed the thick, clear pulp into the girls hair. Soon, Kaitlyn had two braids on either side of her head.

Mother Bear told the girls that White Wolf was Great Wolf's new captive, and she would be treated with respect, and then left off in search of more reeds. Red Bird knew that their chief took interest in the tohbi ohoyo.

With this girl here, she would never have a chance with the chief. She sent a sad smile to the white woman. She did not have it in her to dislike the girl, she did nothing wrong. The chief just had different interests. She knew the girl wouldn't even want to be here.

Red Bird handed her basket to White Wolf. She showed her the way that you moved the grass reed in and out, forming the basket weave. As long as White Wolf was here, she would need someone to teach her things.

Kaitlyn watched as the girl with high cheek bones weaved the basket. All of the girls here seemed friendly. They smiled at her and let her openly stare at their baskets.

Soon, the girls with high cheek bones handed the basket to her, and used her own hands to guide Kaitlyn's. Kaitlyn felt the movements and watched their fingers move. The girl looked at Kaitlyn, and let go, leaving Kaitlyn to weave herself. Kaitlyn slowly weaved the basket. She moved her fingers in and out of the support reeds.

Red Bird sat there and stared at the white girl. "Tohbi Nashoba," Red bird started, gaining the girls attention, "Humma Hushi," and pointed to herself.

Kaitlyn did not know what her name meant, but she was happy that she was able to talk to some people, and they liked her. She knew that she was different than all of them, and yet, they were so nice to her. In white culture, if someone was different, they were ridiculed and put on display.

There were story's where a young Indian maiden had been stolen from her home and brought to the white town, and she was raped and then beaten in public. Kaitlyn heard that everyone laughed at her, the poor girl in her weakest moment.

These Indians were not savages, and she knew it. They welcomed her into their home. They were not hostile and mean. The white people she had lived with before were mean and more savage than any of these Natives.

Kaitlyn smiled at Red Bird. She knew that she was sweet. She was amazed at their basket weaving abilities, all of the girls. They had put patterns into their baskets, and had very tightly woven baskets. Kaitlyn looked down at hers and it had started out tightly woven, but then immediately switched to a very loose, jagged basket. Basket weaving was just not her talent.

Red Bird chuckled. She looked down at the white girls basket, and knew that she would need much more practice to make a valuable basket. She set her new basket down, along with White Wolf's. She grabbed White Wolf's hand and lead her to the place where women made food for the unwed bachelors of the tribe.

Kaitlyn did not know where Humma Hushi was taking her. She hoped that she would not be left alone. Kaitlyn had always been alone at home while her mother worked, but she did not know these people. She was afraid of them.

Soon Humma Hushi had brought Kaitlyn to a group of older women around a fire. There were clay pots, bowls, and what looked like skillets. The women all had their own tasks. One was kneading bread, another smoking meat, and more doing other things with food.

Red Bird watched as White Wolf's eyes lit up. She knew that she must of been hungry, and it was almost time for the evening meal. She told the women that Great Wolf had rescued her, and she needed to learn the ways of the people.

The women smiled at Kaitlyn as Red Bird spoke to them. Kaitlyn was nervous, and she didn't want to mess any thing up. One woman patted the spot next to her, and Kaitlyn slowly walked over.

When she was seated, the woman began putting corn, carrots, and some type of meat into a big clay pot. She then filled it with water, and set it on top of the coals to cook. Kaitlyn was handed a smooth wooden stick, and they made a churning motion. She then stuck the spoon into the pot and began stirring. She stirred until the soup was finished.

"Halito, ohoyo, Tohbi Nashoba," Great Wolf called as he walked up. All of the women greeted him with a warm hello. Kaitlyn was surprised when he dragged his long fingers along her bare shoulder as he walked by. Goosebumps immediately took over her arms and shivers were sent down her back.

She knew she needed to repay his kindness, and he would be hungry, so she looked to Humma Hushi and pointed to the soup and a bowl, then to Great Wolf. The girl shook her head yes, and Kaitlyn took a big wooden spoon, and filled a bowl with some of the pots contents. She then put a smaller bone spoon in the bowl for eating.

White Wolf had passed tmthe chief a bowl of stew, and he raised his eyebrows in thanks to her. He thanked all of the women for helping his tohbi ohoyo.

He then grabbed a bowl for White Wolf. He handed it to her, and she filled it, grabbed another spoon, and looked at him for further instructions. He held out his hand for her, and she took it. They walked back to his chukka in silence.