History of Greed and Oppression

The change from Godlike love to selfishness can be traced back to when Adam and Eve were expelled from their home in Eden. Then, instead of having everything bountifully supplied, Adam was condemned to labor—"By the sweat of your face, you shall eat bread" (Genesis 3:19). Survival became the main drive for mankind, generally dwarfing his exercise of the more noble qualities of mind. Beyond necessity, man became greedy, grasping for the "Mammon" of wealth and luxury (Matthew 6:24). Satan has taken great advantage of this tendency!

For thousands of years, ignorance, racial prejudice, and national pride concentrated wealth in the hands of a few. Strangely, the masses often took pride in fearful obedience to these few. However, as the time neared for Jehovah to bless the world through a "restoration of all things" (Acts 3:21), people have been awakened to their rights. Through the light of education, ignorance and superstition have given way to challenging the power of despots and rulers.

Since the late 1800s there has been a growing bitterness between those who control the means of production and the wage earning masses. World economies, now stressed with global financial meltdown, face bankruptcies. As a result, the wealthy are drawn closer to the governments, while unemployment pushes the poorer classes towards Socialism and even anarchy, through which they hope to find a better life.

Commendation should be given to the kindhearted rich who donate for the good of the general population for schools, hospitals and libraries. Nevertheless, tension and bitterness continues to grow between the wealthy and the laboring classes. But all these trends are preparing for the ending of the present systems so that the Kingdom of Christ can be established.