Symbolic Language of Scripture

In studying prophecies about the Day of Wrath, such as described by Apostle Peter, it is important to understand the Bible language of symbols:

● “Earth” represents society;
● “Mountains” represent kingdoms, governments; 
● “Heavens” represent powers of spiritual control; 
● “Fire” represents destruction; 
● “Brimstone” intensifies the meaning of destruction with deadly fumes of sulfur; 
● “World” represents a dispensation of time.

Peter first talks about "the heavens...of old, and the earth" as the "world that then was, being overflowed with water [that] perished" in the flood long ago (2 Peter 3:5,6). Of course the literal earth and heavens were not destroyed—it was society, under the influence of the fallen angels, that was destroyed (2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6; Hebrews 2:5). "One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever" (Ecclesiastes 1:4).

Peter goes on to say:"The Day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night [unobserved], in the which the heavens [present powers of the air under Satan] shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat; the earth [society] also, and the works that are therein [wealth, power], shall be burned up. The heavens being on fire shall be dissolved and the elements shall melt with fervent heat. Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens [a new spiritual power, Christ's Kingdom] and a new earth [new society based on justice and love]" (2 Peter 3:10-13).

Thus Peter (as well as Paul and John) were Apostles who were also Prophets. They were moved to prophesy things to come. Like the Prophets of the Old Testament, they were guided in their words and used symbolic language. God in His own time has raised up suitable servants to expound upon those prophecies, as Jesus suggested would occur (Matthew 24:45-51). Now the understanding of these prophecies is "meat in due season" for the household of faith.