Results of Natural Causes

Thus we see the natural causes of trouble in this "Day of Jehovah." Selfishness will control the majority on both sides and the arrogant will gain control. Thousands thrown out of employment will become desperate, demands will be resisted, and the general public will distrust capital. Ultimately, law and order will be swept away as the "mountains" are swallowed up in that stormy "sea." Both the symbolic “earth” (society) and the “heavens” (ecclesiastical rule) will be destroyed (2 Peter 3:7). The nominal church siding with the governments of earth will also be destroyed symbolically by “fire” in the climax of this “Day of Jehovah” (Revelation 18:9).

The whole purpose of this trouble is to teach mankind that as long as selfishness is in control, man’s plans are futile. When man is flat on his back, he will finally look up. Christ’s Millennial Reign will be a strong and righteous “rule…with a rod of iron” (Psalm 2:7-9; Revelation 19:15). Instead of patching the old order, mankind will benefit from a “New Covenant” which will “put [God’s] law in their inward parts and write it in their hearts.” When this is done, ”They shall not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they shall all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, declares the LORD, for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more” (Jeremiah 31:33,34 nas).

None will entirely escape the trouble. But the "meek" who humbly seek righteousness will suffer less than others—especially from harassing fear and foreboding. "Seek the LORD, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord's anger" (Zephaniah 2:3 NAS).

When "men's hearts [are] failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken… then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption [deliverance] draweth nigh" (Luke 21:26-28). Those who understand from the Bible the near outcome of the trouble will rejoice.