Pride of the Proud to be Burned

The Prophet Malachi (4:1) tells of this Day of Jehovah using the same symbol of fire. "The day cometh that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble; and the day that cometh shall burn them up." Pride and oppressors will be greatly humbled. Ultimately, during the Millennial Kingdom, those who refuse its disciplines and benefits will perish with their pride (Revelation 20:7-9).

Meanwhile, the Lord's people are purified and blessed. The dross of error and character are burned away and they are refined as "gold and silver." Even proud, compromising Christians who are able to let go of their pride may be saved "out of the fire" (Jude 23), and purified."

The Messenger of the Covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand[the test] when he appeareth? for he is as a refiner's fire … and he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi [typical of the Lord's people] and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness" (Malachi 3:1-3).Clearly, the “fire” represents a purgative influence for great benefit. The Apostle Paul also uses “fire” symbolically referring to purifying a Christian’s faith and character:

“Now if any man build [character] upon this foundation [Christ’s ransom sacrifice] gold, silver, precious stones [divine truths and matching character], wood, hay, stubble [traditional errors and corresponding unstable characters]; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the Day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is [2 Peter 1:5-11]. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward” (1 Corinthians 3:12-14).

All those who build on the “foundation” of Christ’s ransom but then become careless in their building— God can mercifully recover. “If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire” (1 Corinthians 3:15). However, those who persist in willfully rejecting Christ after “once enlightened” by the holy Spirit, “it is impossible … to renew them again unto repentance seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh” (Hebrews 6:4-8; 10:26-31). They become subject to “second death” (Revelation 20:6).