The Privilege and Responsibility of the Saints

God's people will not feel the same anxiety and hopeless dread that will overspread the world. They understand the trouble as an introduction to the blessing of the world. They may share in the trouble, but they will rejoice by faith in the glorious result to follow.

Discontent will rise among the worldly. But the Lord's people should be an example of contentment to their neighbors, fellow workers, and families. “Godliness with contentment is great gain” (1 Timothy 6:6). Though many enjoy more blessings and conveniences still the poor world groans under both its real and imagined problems (Romans 8:19,22).

People are clutching for wealth, and those who possess wealth are discontent and clutching for more. But the saints should take no part in this grasping struggle. Their consecration vow was to run for heavenly riches and follow the example of Jesus and the Apostles. Except to provide what is decent and “honest” for the family and seek to “live peaceably with all men” (Romans 12:17,18)—they lay up “treasures in heaven” (Matthew 6:19,20).

Unfortunately, not all of God's children have such peace and contentment. Some leave Jesus' footsteps and seek earthly things. We should instead seek the peace which the world can neither give nor take away. The Lord's people should abandon discontent and strive for the higher riches and the peace of God.

"But godliness actually is a means of great gain, when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. And if we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith.... But flee from these things, you man of God; and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called" (1 Timothy 6:6-12 NAS).

The saints are to be living examples of joyful anticipation of the nearing Kingdom of God and its satisfying blessings. While not getting involved in the issues being contended by both sides of any question, our mission is to preach the good tidings of the ransom for ALL. Advantage should be taken of every opportunity and circumstance to witness to the good news of this incoming Kingdom. "How beautiful upon the mountains [kingdoms] are the feet of him [the last members of the body of Christ] that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace, that bringeth good tidings of good" (Isaiah 52:7).

The trouble of this “Day of Jehovah” will give wonderful opportunities for preaching the coming Kingdom. But we are not to take political positions on social questions or remedies to fix the impending catastrophe. Our mission is simply to proclaim calmly and confidently His Kingdom at hand as the only possible remedy—and all mankind's only hope. The sympathies of the LORD’s people lie with all of the poor groaning creation and we can give comfort to the worried and frightened, knowing that all the trouble is only a brief prelude. “When thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness” (Isaiah 26:9).

“And in this mountain [Kingdom] shall the LORD of hosts… swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces….And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the LORD; we have waited for him, we will be glad and rejoice in his salvation.” (Isaiah 25:6-9; Revelation 21:4).