(Chapter 22) Something Worth Living For

Chapter 22

As promised Allison made Chloe her breakfast and then told her the good news about Eric taking them both out for the day. In her excitement Chloe all but gobbled her breakfast down, to Allison’s dismay, and then rushed off to get ready.

Allison marvelled at her daughter, but was more than grateful for the close relationship she and her father had formed. Things could have gone differently. She knew of many children who wanted nothing to do with their father’s – or mother’s for that matter – and it pained her to think Chloe could have been in that same situation. She knew she shouldn’t dwell on the past, that things were good now and hopefully they would be just that for a while. It all depended on how things went with her and Eric and judging from last nights after hours activities she had a feeling things were just about looking up for them all.

She’d been serious about taking things slowly with Eric. She still wasn’t sure if giving this a chance and letting him close to her heart again was a wise decision but she was willing to live with the consequences, at least she hoped she was, if again things went wrong and she hoped that nothing would.

True to his word Eric arrived a little after nine and was greeted by Chloe who all but jumped into his open arms. Allison smiled as she watched the two interact and realised that Chloe had really missed her father over the last week. They’d become so close in the space of two months that it seemed they’d never been apart.

“Hey,” Eric greeted her as he caught her watching them.

Her smile broadened. “Hey,”

He wanted to walk over to her and kiss her so badly, but restrained himself. Allison had made it perfectly clear that she wasn’t ready to tell Chloe about them just yet. True, they needed to figure things out between the two of them, but in his mind Eric already knew what she was to him, what they both are to him.

“You ready to go?” he asked her.

“Yeah, but where exactly are you taking us?”

Eric smirked. “You’ll see. It’s a surprise.”

Allison eyed him suspiciously.

“A surprise?” Chloe commented. “Is it a good one?”

“Oh it’s a very good one.”

“If you gave me three guesses will I be able to get it in those three chances?” Allison asked as she slung her bag over her shoulder.

“Err… nope.” came Eric’s evasive reply.

“Hmm… you’re being really sneaky.”

Eric wiggled his eyebrows are her. “And I’m really good at it aren’t I.”

Allison rolled her eyes at him as she slipped the door closed. “No need to get a big head.”

Eric’s laughter sent chills down her spine. “Fine I’ll give my lovely girls a hint. Let’s just say you’re in for the ride of your life.”

***

Disneyland was booming with life as they walked through the gates. Tourists and locals alike all rushed to buy their entry tickets; neither could wait to join in on the shouts and laughter of those already there.

Allison smiled; she really was in for the ride of her life. Chloe had bobbed up and down in excitement when she saw where Eric was taking them. They’d been here before, once. Chloe had been a little younger than she was now and couldn’t really appreciate the wonder of the all the rides or shows on offer. But judging from the gleam that lit her eyes now, Allison had no doubt that she would be enjoying everything that there was to see.