(Chapter 23) Something Worth Living For

Chapter 23

Eric greeted everyone he passed with a joyous smile, as he made his way through the studios of Sport Inc. He could barely contain it, the happiness that he felt. It seemed things were finally falling into place for him. He had his dream job – which he might add was going exceptionally well – and of course, he had Chloe and Allison.

The past weekend they’d spent together, as a family, was one of the happiest he’d had in a long time. In fact, Eric couldn’t remember the last time he’d felt such pure joy, like nothing could touch him. He knew he should count his blessings and not question all that he’s been given, but a part of him couldn’t help but wonder when the bad would come.

With everything good that happens there is always something that went wrong. It wasn’t something he wished for, but a way of life, a sort of balance that made the sweet even sweeter.

He wondered what life could possibly throw at him, but couldn’t come up with an answer to his life’s riddle. But if there was one thing he knew it was that no matter what was tossed his way, he had Ally and that was all the saving grace he needed.

“Good evening Janet.” Eric greeted the young woman, who was the executive producer of his show.

“Well aren’t we in a good mood this evening.” She commented with a wink. “I’ve got a feeling there’s a certain lady who’s played a big role in this.”

Eric grinned. “How did you know?”

She shrugged. “I woman knows these things. So, how is Allison doing?”

“Good. At least that’s the way she was when I saw her last night.”

“Okay, no need for details.” She teased, which Eric knew.

Janet was in her early thirties, recently married and had a baby on the way. Eric knew her from his days when he’d first started working for Sports Inc.

“So, is George ready for fatherhood?” George was Janet’s husband.

“I’d like to think so, but in my opinion I think he’s a bit scared. He just puts up a brave face for me.” Janet said as she ran a hand over her belly.

“Oh I’m sure it’s just re-parenting jitters. He loves you and I’m certain he’s excited to be a father.” He said, meaning every word.

“Thanks. Now enough with the pleasantries. We have a show to do.” Janet said in a businesslike manner.

“Yes, let’s get to work.” Eric was just about to head off to his dressing room when Janet called him back.

“Oh, I almost forgot. Hank wants to see you before the show.”

Eric frowned at this. Why would Hank, their station manager want to see him?

“Did he say what it was about?” Eric asked, slightly confused.

“No, I suggest you ask him what it’s about. Now off with you before we’re late.” She ushered him in the direction of Hank’s office.

Eric couldn’t fathom what this was about. Why would Hank want to see him before a show? It had to be important if it couldn’t wait. Had he done something wrong?

He suddenly felt anxious as he reached the managers door. Taking a deep breathe he knocked on the door and opened it.

“Ah Eric, come in, come in.” Hank motioned.

“Good evening, Hank.” Eric greeted as he sat down, Hank taking the other seat on the other side of the desk.

“I’m guessing you’re probably wondering what this is all about.” Hank said after a short minute.