(Chapter 24) Something Worth Living For

• Dedicated to To all who've joined me on this journey. Thank you :)

Chapter 24

Eric raced across the streets of Los Angeles. For the first time in a long time he was focused, determined to reach his goal and this time his goal wasn’t to further his career, but to get to the two women he loved most. At the red lights he cursed, but was grateful when he was finally free of the congested traffic. He tapped his fingers impatiently on the steering wheel as he waited for the green light.

His tires screeched as he pulled away. He couldn’t careless if he got a ticket for speeding. He’d gladly pay the fine, if it meant he could get to Ally and Chloe on time. He should never have taken that stupid interview. He should have declined the offer as soon as he realised his mistake.

Could this slip up cost him everything? He hoped not. He hoped there was still a chance for him. There had to be a chance. Wasn’t it Ally who’d posed the question to him? “You need to decide what is more important to you, what or who you think is worth living for.” Well, he might not have known the answer that night, but he certainly did now.

As he drove toward the house, he noticed the helium balloons that were tied to the fence. He looked about for a place to park, but found none. It seemed the party really was in full swing. Sighing in frustration, Eric drove further down the road and thanked his lucky stars when he found a spot.

For two minutes he sat in his seat, still gripping the wheel. He tried to arrange the words in his head, the ones he’d thought to say while coming over, so that they could make sense, but he failed miserably. Deciding that there was no use, that he’d just have to let the words come naturally, Eric got out of the car and with Chloe’s present under his arm, he confidently walked up to the house.

He recognised Paul’s and Jen’s car pulled up in the driveway and cringed at the thought that he should meet Jen before he got a chance to speak to Ally. How mad Jen was with him, he didn’t know, but he was willing to take all the bitter if it meant the sweet could taste sweeter.

He wasn’t sure if he should ring the doorbell or not. He could hear the sounds of children screaming and playing out back and wondered if he shouldn’t try going round when the front door opened.

Inside stood Paul. Eric was about to smile when he noticed the grim look on his friends face. Maybe it wasn’t Jen he had to worry about.

“What are you doing here?” he asked not to friendly either.

Eric stood his ground. “I’m here to for Chloe’s birthday party and to beg Ally to forgive me for the hundredth time.”

Paul just nodded. “It took you long enough to get here. The party’s been going for about an hour and a half already.”

Paul really wasn’t going to make this easy for him. “I know and I’m an ass for being late, for even considering not being here. I get you’re angry with me Paul. You have no idea how much I’ve been beating myself up on the way here and trust me; I’ve been sitting in the traffic for a while.”

“I don’t get you Eric. You say you want to be the man that Allison needs and a good father to Chloe, but then you pull things like this. I’ve never seen Chloe as miserable as she was the past few days. Even now she doesn’t look to happy either.” Paul half yelled at him. “So, you’ve got to give me a good reason why I should let you back in their lives if there’s a good chance you’ll just hurt them again?”

A pained expression crossed Eric’s face and Paul could see that the memory of Chloe’s saddened face still haunted him. Allison had told him and Jen all about it and Paul had been so angry at his friend that it was only the soothing voice of his wife, placating him, not to go after Eric.