Chapter 13: A Triumphant Rose and a Panicking Phantom

Chapter 13:
A Triumphant Rose and a Panicking Phantom

The following weeks were tortuous to both Derik and Rosabella as they waited for the cast list to be posted. It was agonizing waiting to see the final results. Derik had taken to pacing more frequently around the room whenever Rosabella would bring up the fact that they still hadn't posted the cast list. As for Rosabella, she was a complete nervous wreck. She could barely focus on anything really. During their vocal lessons, she would always have a far off look in her eyes as she zoned out in a trancelike daze. Derik noticed this during their visits and it worried him. She was at least functioning unlike when she was in her depressed state which was reassuring to him. He could hardly wait any longer for the list to be posted.
During those weeks, Derik also noticed that someone had been snooping around his mansion attempting to peer inside. This was in vain though as the man could not see past any of the curtains that would automatically pull shut when he would near any of the windows as they had installed motion sensors outside the mansion where the windows were which would activate the curtains being shut. It was a clever idea of Derik's to have so that no one could invade on his time with Rose. Ah, Rose; the woman who constantly invaded even his most private of thoughts. To him Rose had become his sole reason as to why he had not succumbed to the demon known as madness. She was all that held him back and for that he was grateful for if it weren't for her, he would be on the verge of it now, if not already consumed by it. Her name brought him away from dark thoughts and her voice held him enraptured.
Rose was indeed a much needed addition to his life and Derik thanked whatever higher power there was that she had entered into his life that fateful night he had first seen her. He was suddenly brought back to the present by a voice calling to him.
"Hmmm, yes," he asked as he returned his focus so as to see to whom he was now speaking.
"Derik," scolded a very amused Rosabella. She had just snuck into the mansion in order to see him as it was close to midnight and her father would surely ground her for being out so late on a school night. She was in desperate need of her friend, however, and was determined to see him so that she could speak with him on an urgent matter.
"What are you doing here so late," he asked her confused.
"Well, I had had a nightmare and was scared of being alone," she answered simply.
"And yet you came over here alone," Derik muttered as a chuckle resonated from his throat.
"Well, you make me feel safe so that outweighed my having come here alone," she scolded as she justified her reasoning. He chuckled again at her antics.
"So what was your nightmare about that caused you to come running to my doorstep?"
"I dreamt of that night."
That one sentence was all he needed to hear in order to know what she had been frightened of from her dream. He immediately rushed to her side and trapped her in an embrace. She instantly returned the hug and gripped his shirt to her to bring him closer to her. Tears slowly ran down her face as the memories of that night flooded her thoughts. Just remembering how she had been beaten but such a revolting man made her wince in memory of the pain he had inflicted on her. She also remember what he had intended to do to her had been successful in absconding her away to whatever place he had secured for that purpose. Derik stroked her hair as she gripped onto him even tighter. His heart clenched at the thought of that man trying to do something so repulsive to his Rose, let alone anyone for that matter. She was an innocent girl and that man sought out to harm her. That alone could never be forgiven to him.
He continued to stroke her hair and hold her close to him as to console her from her memories. They remained like that for a few minutes before her tears subsided and the feeling of safety returned to her.
"Thank you for letting me come here whenever I need to; I truly feel safe whenever you're around," she whispered to him. This made him smile.
"Well your safety is one of my priorities, meine Rose," he whispered to her knowing she would shiver at him calling her that. He loved the fact that he could affect her just by saying something in German. He was thankful to Frau Garrett for teaching him some of her mother tongue for it proved useful in those moments with Rose.