Chapter 23: Acceptance, Truth, and Friendship

Chapter 23

Acceptance, Truth, and Friendship

     At the police station, statements were given by members of the audience and those involved. The previous two incidents with the baron were reported as well. All seemed to be going well in the world for Rosabella and Derik. The only thing that could make them feel better would be if they could learn who had tried to kill Rory. The police were interrogating the baron in one of the interrogation rooms while an officer stood outside the room watching through the one-way mirror with Rosabella and Derik. The officer in the interrogation room was going over all of the events starting with the night Rosabella was attacked, all the way to that night's events. They had just covered the second attack in her dressing room when something interesting came to light.

     "So, you waited a couple of days to show up again? And what were you going to do when you saw her?" asked the interrogating officer.

     "I was going to teach that trollop a lesson! I would have been able to if it weren't for that stupid violinist! He just had to find me in the bathroom," Clinton sneered as he remembered that day.

     "What violinist?" Rosabella was confused as she listened in; what exactly was he implicating?

     "The girl's father! He came barging in and asked me what I did to his daughter. He was raving like a lunatic! I had to shut him up somehow!"

     Realization flooded through Derik and Rosabella: von Lockhart was the one that tried to kill her father. A sob found its way into Rosabella's chest as tears flooded her eye sockets. Derik noticed the impending waterworks and wrapped his arms around her. He rubbed his hands up and down her back as she turned to face him in his arms. She rested her forehead on his chest as she let her emotions get the best of her. Tears sprang to her cheeks rolling down them and falling onto her and Derik's shoes. They left the observation room and went outside to the car. Frau Garrett sat in the driver's seat of the car waiting for them. She was prepared when she saw them stumble out of the police station. As they approached, Frau Garrett got out of the car and went around to open the door to the backseat. Derik and Rosabella arrived shortly and slipped into the back. He cradled her in his arms as she cried into his chest.

     "What happened?" asked the Frau.

     "We now know who put her father in the hospital. It was him," Derik explained. Shock took over the older woman's face.

     "We must get her home now so we can comfort her better. We must also tell Jeanette of this."

     Gretchen turned the key in the admission and put the car into drive. She pressed her foot on the gas pedal as she maneuvered them through the town. It took all of her willpower to keep from speeding in anger; there was no way she could risk the lives of the two in the back seat. She was so enraged with that hateful man! He dared to resort to attempted murder to cover up his heinous crimes. She drove in a haze driving by muscle memory. Meanwhile, Jeanette was there waiting for them when they returned. She had been worried sick about Rosabella. She had become a second daughter to her in the time they had known one another. Jeanette's nerves calmed at the sight of Gretchen's car pulling into the parking lot.

     As the car pulled into the parking lot, something close to magic was occurring. At the hospital, a nurse was checking Rory's vitals. It was as she was finishing that his eyes started to flutter open. He began to look around using his eyes when he spotted the nurse. Slowly, he regained control of his senses and could hear the beeps of a heart monitor. He stretched the muscles in his jaw feeling control of his limbs return.

     "M-m-miss," croaked out Rory with a dry throat. The nurse jumped with a start. Her focus changed from the monitors to the patient in the bed before her.