Chapter 24: An Unwanted Birthday Present and Confessions

Chapter 24

An Unwanted Birthday Present and Confessions

A few days passed after that day of revelations. All had become peaceful for the time being. Rory was shortly thereafter released from the hospital just in time for Rosabella's eighteenth birthday. Now she sat at the head of a table in the kitchen of the theatre with Rory, Derik, Mrs. Pamplin, Maddie, and Frau Garrett sitting around her. A double-layered cake sat before Rosabella with eighteen candles lit. It was a chocolate cake with vanilla icing and decorative roses on it. Happy Birthday Rosabella-Luna was written on it in calligraphy. Derik sat to her left and her father on her right. Frau Garrett was on the other side of Derik while Mrs. Pamplin and Maddie were on the other side of Rory with Mrs. Pamplin in the middle of the three.

They then commenced singing "Happy Birthday" to her. Her eyes welled up with tears as she could now have all of her favorite people in one room without fear for the one she cared for most. As their voices sang out the final part of the song, a sense of peace overwhelmed her. Her eyes closed as she blew out the candles making a wish: to find a way to be with Derik now that she was eighteen. She hoped with all her heart that she could make this happen. It was her biggest desire. The cake was then taken out of the way to be cut and served after presents had been opened.

The first to give Rosabella a gift was her father. She took the gift from him and carefully pulled apart the wrapping paper. This revealed a box of which she took the lid off. A violin case lay within and brought Rosabella great joy. She could now play alongside her father in any future performances. She hugged him before moving on to the next gift. Frau Garrett placed a smaller box-shaped gift before her. This gift was unwrapped with care and opened to reveal a beautiful silver chain necklace with a heart pendant. The pendant had a garnet inside. This joyed Rosabella so much. Mrs. Pamplin then gave her yet another box-shaped gift. Once unwrapped and opened, Rosabella pulled out a brand-new pair of dance shoes.

The next to give her a gift was Maddie. She placed the present before her and stood beside her as she patiently waited for it to be opened. Rosabella carefully opened the gift, barely even ripping the wrapping paper. It soon revealed a box of which she lifted the lid, opening it. Her brows furrowed as she stared at the contents, or lack thereof. Rosabella looked at her friend in confusion. Maddie ignored her and pulled her in for a hug. As her arms encircled Rosabella, her right hand poised itself as it slammed into the unsuspecting girl's right shoulder blade. Rosabella's eyes widened as a gasp of pain escaped her mouth. Maddie released her from the hug, and she fell forward. As she hit the ground, the source of her pain became visible for the rest of those gathered: a knife was embedded in her shoulder.

Maddie cackled at her victory as everything blurred around her. Derik sprung up from his chair and rushed to Rose's side. He sat on the floor and pulled her into his lap. He cradled her to his chest as tears poured down his face.

"You're going to be okay, Rose. I won't let you die on me," he consoled her with words of reassurance that were more for his own sake than hers.

Rory was quickly at his side crying as well. Frau Garrett was already on the phone with 9-1-1 while Mrs. Pamplin was restraining her own daughter.

"Why would you do this to her?! I thought you were friends," the woman screamed in horror at her daughter.

"I did it so no one else could have your love! I've barely received any attention lately because all that anyone cares about is 'Rosabella this, Rosabella that!' Nobody has even checked in on me! I had to make sure I had no other competition! She stole my spotlight and my mother!" Maddie screamed hysterically at her mother. Tears poured down her face too as her mental state became more apparent: she had gone mad.