Chapter I: Preface

Blood.

It splurted on the ground of war above. Sirens fighting against the Nightmares. Some winning, some dead. Cries and screams were heard, along with neighing of the Nightmares. Sirens with their swords raised up, attacking one Nightmare after the other. One on her horse, rode by one, slicing it's head off. One Nightmare formed it's head into an axe, stabbing it's blade into the chest of the Siren attacking him. She fell to the ground, but quickly a nearby Siren stabbed the Nightmare. A group of Sirens pulled out their bows and arrows, aiming high into the sky, then shot their arrows. Clouds of arrows flew after the Nightmares, killing multiple, but more remained untouched.

But one Siren stood out the most. Her bravery and skills in this war made her unharmed. Nightmares grouped up on top of her, but with her strength, her shield threw the Nightmares off of her. She stood up, filled with pride and courage, nothing could stop this Siren Queen. Yes, the Siren Queen: Queen Kathara. The Queen of Anthemoessa and of all Sirens. Right now, she was fighting for her life. Fighting for her people, for her land, and against a mistake she encountered 18 years ago, Pitch Black.

Kathara needed to find him, and kill him and his daughter. They were becoming to powerful, and killing her people. She found an abandoned horse, and hopped onto it, riding away to Pitch. Kathara then spotted a local Siren about to lose her battle, and her life. Kathara immediatley rode over and sliced the Nightmare's head off. The Siren sighed in relief.

"Get your head in the battle, Faline! In the mean time, for your safety that is, go find Bex. She'll protect you." Kathara ordered. Faline nodded then ran off, Kathara rode to palace. There, Pitch stood at the stairs, waiting for her with a sly smirk on his face as he looked at the bloodbath before him.

Something flew above Kathara, casting a shadow over her as she rode her horse. She looked up and found the Harpy Queen, Okypete grinning and cackling madly. Okypete's claws clasped around Kathara's shoulders, pulling her off her horse and into the sky. Kathara cursed under her breathe as she remembered Pitch allied with the Mermaids and Harpies to fight with him. She could see more of the two species storming through the battle now that they have arrived. More of her Sirens dying, she couldn't stand it anymore. After Okypete dropped the Siren Queen, Kathara shot an arrow attached to a rope into the Harpy's shoulder. She screached in pain and Kathara held onto the rope as Okypete flew over the palace. Kathara spotted a landing point and let go of the rope, landing several feet behind Pitch.

He smiled, turning around to face her, "You seem very eager to see me, just as you were once in the bedroom 18 years ago, Kathara." he said with such deviousness.

She scowled, stepping towards him, "I just hope you've earned more skill in this battlefield, Pitch."

Kathara drew out her sword, and charged at Pitch. With a sword of his own sand, he blocked her hit instantly and threw her back. She regained her stance, and kicked him in the face, to which he stepped backwards due to the impact. Though, he stood straight again, and smirked.

"You know, every fear and death is just strengthening my Nightmares. More and more die, but more come back. They are being fueled by all of your fears on this battlefield. Your Sirens' fears, and even yours Kathara. Nothing can stop my wrath, Kathara from ending all of your lives now."

She cried out and charged at him again, which he blocked once more. He charged her this time, "You may be the Queen of the Sirens, but I am the Nightmare King."

A mist of black sand formed around his hands, and he used this to hit Kathara in the face. The force was so strong, it sent her flying into a pillar. He charged at her again.

~*~

"Hiyah!!!" Bex yells as she stabs her sword into a Mermaid. She spins around and slices the head of the Nightmare behind her. She heard a battle cry behind her by a Mermaid. Bex turned around and almost would have been stabbed, if it hadn't been for Melpone running in and stabbing the Mermaid in her back. The Mermaid fell over dead instantly as more piled in on the two.