Chapter II: There's A Place For Us

"Hiyah!!!" yelled Bex as her practice stick slammed into her opponents own stick. On the other side was the eldest of the Princesses of Anthemoessa, Parthenope. Her green hair was pulled up in a pony tail, as she wore a black shirt with magenta bottoms, her practice outfit you could call it. She blocked Bex's attack, and pushed her back.

"You have improved quite a bit, Princess." Bex commented.

"I could say the same to you, but I have to admit, you've lost some skill and even grown quite soft since Miaka was born." Parthenope says with a hint of humor in her tone.

Bex smirked, "Oh really?"

Bex then charged at Parthenope and her attack forced her to the ground. Parthenope groaned, as Bex smiled down at her, her stick's edge pointing to Parthenope's neck. 

"Who's lost skill now?" teased Bex. She soon ate her words when Parthenope kicked Bex's stance, making her fall on her back. Parthenope straddled her with the stick pressed against the middle of Bex's jaw and neck.

Parthenope smirked in triumph, "Still you."

"Parthenope, don't be so rough with Bex, please." the voice of their Queen Kathara of Anthemoessa says softly, who is also Parthenope's mother. She slowly approached the pair, her crown shining and staff glistening, "There was once a time when Bex was one of our bravest and skilled warriors. Her skill is what helped save more lives of our kind."

"I still am that warrior, my Lady." Bex says, after Parthenope helps her up, "Just been too preoccupied with Miaka. It's still hard to look at her as the age of Parthenope here."

"Yes I do know that feeling, Bex." 

"Know what feeling?"

The three all spun around fast when they reconized that sweet soft voice that belong to the youngest daughter of Queen Kathara.

Kathara answered with, "The feeling of seeing your children grow older faster and faster." 

She finishes it with a soft smile as she looks at her daughter, she smiles back.

"Ligeia." Parthenope says, sterny and with a scowl on her face, "You know you can't be outside."

"I needed some fresh air." Ligeia replied simply, walking towards them, "Besides, I can control my visions better now."

"That's what you said last time, Princess." added Bex, "Then you got more rapid visions and passed out."

Ligeia rolled her eyes. She hated how everyone was so overprotective of her, just because she was the youngest, and mosty because of her power. 

"How were you even ab'e to get past Leukosia? She could have easily put you back to your room." Parthenope said.

"After Mother left, she ran to the library immediatley."

Parthenope steadied her stare at the section of the palace where the library was located.

"I can hear her reading Pride and Prejudice right at this moment." Parthenope said.

Kathara chuckled, "I'll be talking with her later."

"Ha! I will too! She's mad now that I'm reading her mind without her permission." added Parthenope.

The Queen turned to LIgeia, "You must go back inside Ligeia. For your own good."

Ligeia rolled her eyes, scoffing as she slapped her raised hands down, "For once, when can I go outside for a least ten minutes! I know you don't want me out here because of my stupid power, but I can't be cooped up in there forever."

Kathara then says, "Ligeia please-"

"Mother." Ligeia interupted, "You know one day I will find my Syn, and maybe this time I'll bare the legendary Siren-"

"Ligeia, enough." Kathara finished, "You know, and we all know, that you nor Parthenope were not to be the ones to bare that child. It was Leukosia, but since her own Syn's death, she is unable to bare it. The legend is broken, we no longer need it. Besides, no one can find their Syn now. Not with the Mermaids and Harpies roaming around and the power by the mirror to conceal our island. No one leaves, and no one enters. That is a standard rule, that we go by."

"It's because of Father wasn't it?" Ligeia stated, "And Pitch too huh? I know it is, I can see it in your eyes, Mother. I know Father's death took a tole on you, and how Pitch killed many of our kind. The hurt you've recieved of man has put you this way. I know you want to protect us all from that hurt, but what if the world of man has changed?"

Kathara stared blankly down at her daughter, into the crystal blue eyes of her previous Syn, "Ligeia, come with me."

Ligeia appeared confused, but obeyed her mother's orders and followed. They walked to a certain area within the trees. A path lead to a cave, in front of the cave was a door, where the guard Melpone and liutenant of Bex's squad was standing. She moved aside to make way for the royals. Kathara opened the door and both entered. Ligeia was confused, she hadn't been to this area since she was 8 years old, she doesn't remember much on the details of it. 

The two walked closer to the metal door in front of them. A rectangular shaped opening was sectioned at the top area of the door. It had metal bars in front of them, but it was decent to see what lay behind the door. Ligeia walked closer to the door and gasped when she met eye to eye to the topaz eyes of Pitch Black, he chuckled.

"You see my dearest Ligeia." Kathara says, "Here is a prime example of what man is. Dark, cruel, and selfish."

"But, the Syn-"

"Yes, but a Syn is still a person of desires. One that the Mermaids possess, and they take it. Even their own seduction can achieve a loyal Syn, why do you think Leukosia's is gone?"

Ligeia nodded slightly.

"Our island is our sanctuary. And Pitch Black is man's ultimate weapon."

"Oh stop ranting about how man is cruel, Kathara. It is a no wonder you are single." comments Pitch.

Kathara glared, "You do not speak that way to me, Pitch. After all, I'm not the one locked away and powers suppressed."

"That makes two of us, doesn't it Ligeia?" Pitch asks, smirking.

Now that Ligeia was thinking about it, his comment was true. She glared slightly at Kathara and stomped out.