Sanity

It did not even take a week for my mentor to place me somewhere to start my new job as a young psychologist. After filling out much paperwork yesterday and mailing them at the nearest post office, I thought it would take years for me to get a position, but unfortunately, I got a call the next day.

My mentor told me that the place is in desperate need to have younger psychologist so the young patients can be a little more comfortable and even though they require someone who practiced psychology methods for at least ten years, they still recommend me and I only practiced it for seven years now. 

My mentor, Dr. Hacker is coming along with me to Bridgeman's Hospital which is oddly located on a private island along the east coast of Virginia. I never thought that there were any islands along this way. I and Dr. Hacker make it there by a large, private boat Dr. Hacker owns. Apparently, he knows this hospital.

"It's so large," I say aloud as I look at the oversized building with grey, pasty paint paining the outside and only few windows were placed on the front of the building like there were some patients isolated. Decorating the islands is only trees that lost its nice green colored leaves, two buildings from afar are placed on the island too which is probably part of the hospital. 

"Come on," Dr. Hacker says quietly in his husky voice to me. We both walk towards the main building where two people dressed in white opens the door with smiles on their faces. They greet us while we walk inside and told us that Dr. Truman will be waiting for us in room A - 6.

Eh?

Wouldn't it be normal for us to just meet him in his office?

Through the plain, empty hallways, I can hear screams and sounds of moaning. It makes me wonder what type of hospital this is exactly. I only agreed to come because some patients aren't mentally stable to except their new state, as in if one of them had one of their body parts amputated or if they have a disorder they are having a hard time to coup with.

We both stop at a close door with a label on top of it. It reads A - 6. Dr. Hacker opens the door, steps forward inside and I do the same. Inside the plain, white room is only a desk with a laptop only decorating it and a black office chair. A man is sitting in the chair and he looks like he is in his mid thirties. His hair is short and brown and he eyes look green from my distance.

"Aw, if it isn't my old friend Hacker," he says happily. "And who is this little tart? Our new psychologist?" He opens his desk drawer and pulls out a can of Cola. He opens it and takes a large gulp from it.

"Yes, this is Caroline Harp. She is here to take care of the new patient you recently received."

The man puts his can down and his smile fades. "This isn't something I think a young psychologist should handle. The last two couldn't handle him."

"That's because they were older. If we try to send a younger psychologist to him, he might feel more comfortable speaking."

The man laughs. "Are you kidding me? This boy will not speak due to the person's age. He even said it in one of his interviews! This girl looks like she is still in the process of learning and I would hate to use him to scare her away from learning. Girl, how old are you?"

"She is seventeen," Hacker says. "Yes, she is young, but her parents are known to be the best psychologist in their field of helping the insane. She has been home schooled for all her life and only learn the ways in helping the most difficult. So before you judge Miss Harp in any way, be aware that age is nothing but a number."

The man laughs, "well, I'm impressed, but that still doesn't mean I can give her this case."

"You were not the one who can give her the case." He places his briefcase on the man's desk and takes out a thick folder. "The owner of this facility put her on this case. Your words mean nothing to me."