Chapter Nineteen

Countdown to The Life-After: four weeks.

"Where's my phone?"

I haven't said a word to my aunt in the last three days. The secret has been ducking out of the house as early as possible for Amarleen's class in the morning, and making sure I'm in whatever room my aunt isn't in when we're both at home. I'd be on my way to my yoga class right now, except my phone went missing from my bedroom some time between when I got into the shower and when I got out. I know exactly who has it, and the look of sweetness and innocence on my aunt's face tells me I'm right.

"I'm sure it's wherever you left it," she tells me. "You should really be more careful with your things."

"Stealing my phone is theft. That's against the law, if you didn't know."

She walks over to the cupboard and pulls out two mugs. "I don't know what you're talking about. Would you like some coffee, and maybe we can talk about what you'll need for school? It's just a few weeks until you start."

"Keep living in your dream world."

I turn on my heel and walk out of the kitchen, grabbing my yoga mat and purse from where I left them in the hallway. I guess I'm heading out for the day without my phone. My aunt probably thinks if I can't text or get phone calls, then she's cut me off from boys or anyone else I know here. In her mind, this will somehow make it easier to get me on a plane and back to the plans she has for my life. I'm certainly not going to tell her I can just go buy a new one and reactivate my number and all of my contacts and text messages. I don't want to know what level she'd stoop to after that.

I slam the door behind me and walk down the driveway to my car. The drive to my yoga class should put me in a better mood. Then I just have to figure out how to stay away from my house for as long as possible, preferably until my aunt is asleep. There has to be a way to get her out of here that doesn't involve me being with her on a plane to Boston.

* * *

I get to Diamond Lotus Yoga earlier than I usually do. Another class with a different teacher is still finishing up in the classroom. Selena is at the front desk, getting a new student set up. Even though I look away from her as quickly as possible, I can feel her eyes boring into me.

I turn my head and pretend to look at a spot to the left of the desk, and that's when I see Amarleen. She's watching Selena and me. I smile at her and then have to move my eyes to something else. If I don't, she'll see everything I'm feeling and maybe even everything I've done. Maybe she already does. She can hear my thoughts right now if she wants to, after all. I try hard not to squirm.

My eyes land on the bathroom door. It's a temporary escape, anyway. I head for the door, smiling again at Amarleen as I pass by. I don't realize I'm holding my breath until I'm through the door and it closes behind me. Exhale. I set my rolled-up yoga mat on a chair in the corner and then look at myself in the mirror hanging above the sinks. Wow. There's a girl who doesn't look happy and who sure isn't hiding it.

The bathroom door squeaks as it swings open. In the mirror's reflection I see Selena standing behind me, staring at the back of my head.

"What were you doing with Riley?" she asks, meeting my eyes in the mirror. She doesn't look happy, either. At least I'm in good company.

"Hanging out," I say, turning around to look at her.

"You should stop doing that."

"Why would I do that?"

"Because he needs friends in his life, and people who know how to care."

"I care about him."

"Fat chance of that," she mutters. I pretend not to hear her and focus in on her energy instead. I expect to see sparks of anger, but instead see colors of protection.