Prologue

"Aphmau! Come here Darling."

"Mommy, look at the flower crown Daddy made me!"

"You look like a little princess."

"Savannah, you need to go back to your room and rest. You'll never recover from your illness this way."

"Oh Xavier, I can do that later. Right now I want to play with my Daughter before it's too late."

"Mommy, look! It's a purple butterfly!"

"Oh Aphmau, when you grow up, be like that butterfly and fly towards your dreams. Promise Mommy that."

"I will Mommy! Anything to make Mommy happy!"

***

"Will she be alright Daddy?"

"Of course Aphmau, before you know it she'll be back in the meadow catching butterflies with you. She wouldn't want to see you so worry about her."

"But why are they burying her? Why won't Mommy wake up and tell me she loves me? Why is she sleeping on a bed of flowers?"

"Hush, Aphmau you'll understand when you're older."

"She is going to wake up isn't she?"

"Of course, she'll never leave you."

***

That was 10 years ago, Father was right about one thing, I understand now that I'm older.

I understand
why she wouldn't wake up.

I understand
why she slept on a bed of flowers in a coffin ready to be buried.

I understand
why Father didn't tell me when I was 6.

But I don't understand
why those we love are snatched out of our open arms.

I don't understand
why our fate couldn't be changed.

I don't understand
why he is marrying someone else as if he's replacing her.

I don't understand
why she would ever leave me.

I still couldn't fully accept that she is gone.

8 years have passed and the carefree young girl grew up into the young lady of the household.

6 years have passed and the shattered 10 year old girl that I was is left behind, replaced by a cheerful girl that masked her still broken self.

4 years have passed and I finally decided to reface to reality and stop living in the past.

2 years have passed when I realized that life must go on but I couldn't let go of what happened. They are inscribed in stone, a forever part of who I am, something I couldn't remove like an eternal scar.

2 months have passed from the moment my Father told me he was remarrying.

And now here I am and my new Mother is about to arrive.