17

"Stefan!" I cheered, throwing my arms around him and nearly knocked us over. Thankfully he caught himself and we didn't fall.

"Woah." He replied with a chuckle. I took a step back to give him space and smiled.

"You're okay." I said almost in disbelief. "I'm so happy you're back."

He smiled. "I'm back-

"Uncle Stefan!" Grayson cut in, hugging Stefan's leg. Stefan glanced down at Grayson with a confused look on his face.

Why is he confused? I thought, Stefan had been a big part of Grayson's life.

"Can you get him off?" Stefan grinned but it looked forced. I slowly nodded and coaxed Grayson off of Stefan and back by my side. He looked confused. "I want to see uncle Stefan."

I looked down at Grayson. "He needs rest, you can see him more later okay."

"Okay." He mumbled with a sad look.

"For now, just give uncle Stefan and Damon some space." I told him. Damon smiled at the name and I chuckled. "You go with aunty Valerie while I discuss grown up things with them."

Grayson looked at Valerie then back at me. "Why can't you come?" He held my hand tight. "I want to stay with you."

"It won't be that long." I assured. He still seemed upset. I took him into the kitchen to speak to him privately. "What's wrong?"

"You can't go now."

"I won't be long."

"No mummy, please." He looked ready to cry and squeezed my hand tight. I felt my head spin and pulled my hand away when I felt him siphon my magic. "Sorry." He said in a small voice.

"You didn't mean it." I said. Grayson began siphoning recently but it was closely tied with his emotions. "Did you have a bad dream." He nodded. "What happened?"

"A man took you."

I raised my eyebrows. "What did this man look like?"

"He had dark hair and his eyes were red and scary." He whimpered, his eyes glossy and his lip trembling.

Hugging him, I kissed his hair as he clung to me. "Grayson, honey. No one can get me, I'm fine."

He nodded and I wiped his eyes and kissed his forehead. "Now go and have fun with Valerie and make sure she goes to bed before ten."

Grayson giggled and I laughed too. "Okay." He tilted his head. "Mummy."

"Yes?"

"Where did daddy go?"

I froze at his question,. "He...." I paused. "Why do you ask?"

"Because I saw him."

My eyes widened and I was quiet for a while. "What?" I asked. "When? How?"

"Last night in my dreams." I let out a deep breath.

"And what happened?"

"We went to the park and he pushed me high on the swing." Grayson smiled, his little teeth showing. "It was fun."

"And was he nice to you?"

Grayson nodded. "Yes, he was funny."

"I'm happy you two had fun."

"He misses you."

I paused and fought back my tears. "What?" I said in a quiet tone. I cleared my throat. "What?"

"He misses you, he told me."

I sighed. "You have an incredible imagination." Was all I said, realising it was his mind.