20

"What are you really doing here Kai?" I heard Damon ask, I rose a brow and put down my hairbrush, lightly stepping to my bedroom door to see Kai and Damon in the hallway.

"What do you mean, Damon?" Kai replied, raising his eyebrows.

Damon scoffed. "You've been gone for three years."

"How did you-"

"Jo told me." He said. "You left Riley to raise Grayson by herself."

"I didn't leave-"

"She might buy this whole act you're giving her but I'm not." Damon told Kai. "I'm not going to let you hurt her again."

"I'm not going to hurt her, I never intended to hurt her."

"All I'm saying is that if you ever try something to hurt her or Grayson, I'll-"

"You'll what Damon?" Kai narrowed his eyes.

"I've the chance to kill you once, believe me I won't mess it up next time Parker."

Kai rose a brow. "I liked to see you try Salvatore." He smirked. "But remember I'm the one who sent your beloved Elena to sleep and I can do it again."

Kai pushed past Damon but stopped and turned to face him once more. "Don't ever threaten me again or I'll make sure you're the only living Salvatore in Mystic Falls." He warned. "And I am never going to hurt Riley, or Grayson." Kai glanced and his eyes locked with mine. "I love them both."

I moved back into my bedroom and smiled slightly to myself. Damon didn't reply but I heard footsteps and a slam of the door on his exit.

"How much did you hear?" I looked back at Kai who was in the door way.

"Everything." I said. "I heard everything."

Kai adjusted his coat. "Ri, I didn't-"

"Damon has every reason to be angry and cautious." I told him. "And so do I."

Kai sighed but nodded. "I know but it's easier being angry than admitting he's right."

"This isn't like when Bonnie trapped you in the prison world, Kai." I told him. "And I know you couldn't control what they did to you but it's going to take me a while to get over the feelings I've had for the last three years."

He nodded again. "I guess I expected things to be much simpler as if I never left."

"Three years." I said. "And I thought you just left me Kai with no explanation when we had agreed I had a year and when you left you would still call." I blinked away my tears that wanted to show. "You don't understand how I felt the morning I realised you were gone and how long I stayed in that hotel room waiting until you got back."

Kai walked over to me, taking ahold of my chin so I looked at him. "Is there anything I can do?"

I shrugged. "I just need to process this Kai."

"It wasn't my fault-"

"I know." I took a step away from him and sighed. "I know you could've done that to me but it's the fact you were back and instead of reaching out to me." I paused and glared. "You were too focused on revenge and you never bothered to tell Grayson that you were okay so I could speak to you through his dreams."

Kai looked down and frowned. "Don't you have anything to say?" I asked him. "And not that you're sorry, why didn't you try and talk to me Kai."

"I was scared!" He snapped. I rose a brow and he exhaled. "I thought you were back with Kol, his plan made so much sense. I disappeared and you would go back to him, fearing I left you alone and especially since you have your memories back."