18

"Hello." I said into my phone, when I answered the call.

"Riley." I smiled and Damon gave me a strange look.

"I can't remember the last time we talked Jo." She laughed. "Why'd you call?"

"I wanted to check up on you, Riley."

"What do you mean check up?" I asked her. "Is something wrong with you, Ric or the baby?"

"No, we're all fine." She assured me. "I wanted to talk about you?"

I rose an eyebrow. "What about me?"

She paused for a while and her voice changed tones. "I heard about you and Kai."

My smile faded and Damon shot me a concerned look. I shook my head, plastering a fake grin and looked out the window. "Riley, I just want to make sure you and Grayson-"

"I need to go." I interrupted, pinching the bridge of my nose to not spill tears.

Pull yourself together Riley. I thought, taking a deep breath and shaking my head.

"Riley, I'm here if you want to talk about it. You're not alone-"

"Jo, I'm sorry." I cut in. "I need to go."

Before she could reply, I hung up and put my phone away. "You alright?" Damon asked to break the awkward silence.

I nodded, turning back around to face ahead. "Yeah." I said, wiping under my eyes. "I'm great."

"What did happen between you and K-"

"Damon." I interrupted. "Please, I'm fine. Let's just find Stefan."

Damon didn't say anymore and continued to drive.

++++

"Gray." I called out. He walked over to me and I pointed at the pile of toys on the floor. "I told you to put your toys away earlier."

Grayson looked confused and glanced at his toys. "I did."

I folded my arms. "Then why are they on the floor?"

He stared at his toys and frowned, before looking back at me. "I put them away."

"Grayson." I just sighed. It was late. Damon and I had driven for miles to locate Stefan, but we had no lead until Ric told us about a location.

I insisted on going with Damon but he told me, it was a something he had to do alone with Stefan. I understood and he dropped me off here, Valerie left when I arrived. "Just put them away."

He continued to frown. "I did put them." He mumbled, though he walked over to his toys and began putting them away.

I ignored him comment. "Thank you Gray." I said. "Afterwards I'll tuck you into bed okay."

"Okay." He replied, while he put his toys in his toy box.

I smiled and walked over to the kitchen. The hotel room Grayson and I were in, was unliveable so with Elena's help we moved into a small apartment.

I peered over to Grayson then began putting the dishes, that were drying, back into the cupboards. There was only a few dishes in our apartment since Grayson and I didn't eat food but occasionally he enjoyed very rare steak.

"Done." I looked down at Grayson, he pointed at his toy box that was now full.

I smiled. "Thank you, baby." I said. "Go to bed, I'll be there in a second to tuck you in."

"Okay mummy." He replied, before walking to his bedroom.

I smiled and finished up in the kitchen before I went to put Grayson to sleep. By the time I made it to his bedroom, he was already half awake.