9) I Have To Share A Room With This Strange, Delinquent, Gorgeous Boy? WHY ME!?

The weekend rolled around quickly, and before I knew it I was in my bedroom preparing for my date with Luke. I decided I was going to wear something pretty casual, but still nice. I chose a short black skirt that stopped just before my knees, a loose purple spaghetti strap top and a short black waistcoat on top of it. As for shoes, I just wore my black high-top Converse. It’s not as if anyone cares what shoes you’re wearing anyway. I curled my usually straight hair and put on a bit more make up than usual, but not too much - I didn‘t want to look like a total slut. When satisfied, I went downstairs to find my Mom and Madison waiting at the bottom of the staircase for me.

“Oooh! Doesn’t she look wonderful!” Madison cooed.

“My little Hero, off on her very first date in California! She’s growing up so fast! I might just cry!” my Mom said.

“Would you like a tissue, Helen?” Madison asked her.

“Yes please” my Mom nodded. Madison handed her a tissue and she dabbed the corners of her eyes with it.

“You look lovely, Hero” Madison said to me.

“Thanks” I smiled.

“Be careful!” Mom said “Don’t stay out too late, or talk to any strangers, or do anything you’ll regret!”

“We’re only going to Starbucks…” I muttered. But she didn’t hear me.

“Oh, come here and give me a hug, my big girl!” she took me into her arms and held me so tight, that I was worried she wasn’t ever going to let go. I caught a glimpse of Rocket standing in the doorway of the living room watching me. When Mom finally let me go, she had pretty much returned to normal, and had thankfully stopped with the sentimental drivel.

“When you’re ready to come home, call Rocket on his cell phone and he’ll come pick you up” she said. I looked over at Rocket who was now watching the floor instead of me. He looked paler than usual, and that got me slightly worried about him.

“Oh yeah, trust Rocket to ruin my night already!”

“Okay” I said uneasily. For some reason, I didn’t want to get Rocket involved with this at all, but there was no use in arguing with my Mom because I had no evidence to back me up - I didn’t know why I didn’t want to bring him into it.

“Is that okay with you, Rocket?” Mom asked, turning to him. He didn’t answer. He didn’t even move. He just continued to stare at the floor.

Mom hesitated“…should I take that as a yes?”

Still nothing from Rocket.

“Don’t ignore Helen!” Madison demanded “It’s rude!”

Rocket’s gaze drifted up from the floor and fixed in a frown upon his adoptive Mother.

“Don’t you give me that look, boy!” she said sternly.

“Fuck you” he whispered hoarsely. I couldn’t help but wonder why his voice sounded so weak and quiet, and why he looked so pale. Was he sick or something?

“Rocket! I won’t accept that kind of language and you know it! Are you asking to be punished? You know we haven’t had to do that in a long time, do you really want to break your chain of good behaviour?” Madison sounded pissed off.

Rocket continued to glare at her and didn’t say anything.

“You will pick Hero up when she calls you. End of story” she commanded. Rocket returned his gaze to the floor. All of a sudden, the atmosphere amongst the four of us became extremely tense and awkward. I sighed with relief as the doorbell rang.