Chapter Five

(PIC OF ROSE AND LIZZIE TO THE SIDE)

________________________________________

~Tamara Rose

________________________________________

My hands were shaking, my tongue weighing down my mouth like a heavy piece of cotton, the air around me stifling...and I was just a ridiculous, nervous wreck.

"Rose, will you please calm down?" Lizzie sighed. She placed one French-manicured hand atop mine, which were clasped on my lap. I shot her a scowl.

"You be quiet. Your mate is as perfect as mates get. You have no idea what I'm going through."

She could have chosen to be offended, but instead she simply rolled her eyes and snorted. "Mark? Perfect? Please. He's an idiot. Have you ever tried to get the guy to cook for you? If people could have frequent-customer cards at the hospital, I would, purely because of the food poisioning his omelots have given me so often!"

From the driver's seat of the Jeep, Mark gasped, insulted. "You said that was because you were allergic to pepper! Why didn't you tell me they were that bad?"

Lizzie pinched the bridge of her nose. "Jesus Christ, now look what you've done," she muttered, giving me dark look.

I couldn't help it. I laughed.

The rest of the ride was spent in playful banter and nonstop chatter. My wolf was slowly emerging within my thoughts again as the scent of her old mate began appearing in the air. I felt the world seem to shift around me as we crossed the boundary line onto Sierra County territory.

A deep exhale lifted my chest. Jordan, Josh and Eric all gave me concerned looks. Lizzie tightened her grip on my hand. Mark was focused on the huge mansion of a pack house beginning to form in our view.

"Here we go," I muttered, feeling my eyes instinctively fall shut as the car' engine died.

Lizzie nudged with me shoulder. "Hey, it'll be okay."

I opened my eyes and stared at her. She gave me a blinding smile.

A soft grin ticked up the corners of my own lips. I nodded.

________________________________________

~Dylan

________________________________________

As the Imperial County pack pulled up to the driveway, I felt relief wash over me. Finally, my pack would have help to protect them from the rogues. There were rumors that the Imperial pack had some of the strongest werewolf fighters in the nation.

The sleek black Jeep opened all its doors at once. Four guys slipped out, followed by two girls. The guys immediately stood in front of the girls, hiding them from view.