Chapter One.

(This chapter is not sponsored by Alpen lmao)

"Hi mum!" I chirped as I walked into the kitchen. I grabbed myself an Alpen Bar and some orange juice. I never usually ate breakfast but this morning I felt ready to chow down a couple of hundred calories. Breakfast seemed like a dumb idea to me- if you ate enough the night before, you really shouldn't need to eat because sleeping hardly requires much energy. I always skipped on breakfast because it was valuable time that otherwise could be spent in bed or in the shower.

"Kate, are you feeling alright?" mum asked with a worried look on her face. She stalked around the island counter and reached out a perfectly manicured arm. The back of her hand touched my forehead and I frowned, looking up at it.

"I'm amazing, thanks! Why?" I said with a mouth full of the tasty, strawberry goodness. I wondered how something so healthy could actually taste good. I wasn't one to go on extreme diets, nor was I one to pig out on fatty foods. However, it was things like Alpen that made me believe that dieting is possible.

Mum pointed to the clock hung exactly straight on the wall. I remember the day we tried to put it up and my parents argued for hours about whether or not the clock was straight. Eventually, I got sick of the bickering and passing remarks about its crookedness and measured the placement. Straight.

She laughed, "Because it's 6 o'clock in the morning on a Saturday."

I turned to the clock letting all that information sink in. I must have gotten up, had a shower, blow-dried and straightened my hair, ironed my shirt, got dressed, brushed my teeth, packed my bag and applied my make-up without realising the time; that takes a lot of skill. My face must have shown a lot of confusion because mum just laughed at me and dragged me by my hand into the living room. There, she handed me the blanket and the remote and fetched my pyjamas. I didn't protest – I was too shocked at the fact that I, Kate Green, woke up early without needing to be pulled out of bed.

I snapped out of it a few minutes later. Mum must've cooked me breakfast because there was a plate of pancakes on our glass coffee table covered by a lid to keep them warm. Next to it was a perfect cup of coffee in my favourite mug; the one given to me by my best-friend-since-forever. I sighed and flicked the TV to TLC - home of my favourite reality TV shows.

I was going to miss this.