Chapter 2

Ten minutes later Nick paused inside his kitchen doorway, partly to collect himself, but mostly to feast his eyes on Gracie, who sat hunched over the table, head in hands, and apparently too deep in thought to notice his arrival. Murphy merely glanced up from crumb patrol, wagged his stubby tail, and went about his business.

Nick was fully dressed and looking fine, the way God intended a man should look when facing an ex-girlfriend. He felt in control again, that is if he deluded himself into believing any mortal man, dressed, undressed, or anywhere in-between could control a renegade like Grace Donnelly. A reluctant smile touched his lips as he studied her bowed head. The swirl of curls hid her eyes. She might look all soft and fluffy and feminine, but sweet baby Jesus, the woman had a grip of tempered steel.

Happily, the body part he considered vital to a man's happiness had recovered nicely.

A slow survey took in every cute and curvy inch. Gracie was a total turn-on—a sexy armful a man could cuddle without fear of breakage. She was perfect for him in nearly every way—every way, that is, except the most important one of all. Sooner or later, her recklessness would get her killed and he'd be unable to save her. The last thing he needed was another daredevil playing fast and loose with his sanity. Hell, his own granddaddy was more than any man should rightly be asked to handle during one lifetime.

But against his better judgement, Nick still had a powerful hankering for Gracie. He was especially partial to her kind heart, quick wit, and those sassy comebacks that kept him on his toes. He shook his head to dispel the urge to kiss her silly. He wished he could explain the real reason he couldn't let her watch the video, but hell, undercover jobs required secrecy. He hadn't run a successful security firm for eight years by blabbing.

Silent steps took him across the kitchen until he stood directly behind her chair. She smelled as good as he remembered, maybe better.

He forced a slow drawl. "I surely would love to chat for a spell, but it's time you scooted on home. I'm running late for my meeting." He managed the lie with a straight face. There was plenty of time to spare. He had to get her the hell out of there before he did something real dumb.

She angled her head to face him. A slow flush crept up her cheeks and disappeared into the midnight curls. "Are you hurt, Nick? I am so, so sorry," she said, her voice husky with emotion. "I didn't mean to ... I hope I didn't ..." Her apology trailed away.

Part of him relished the fact that she cared. The macho part wished she'd shut the hell up. He brushed her concern aside. "Don't get all riled up over nothing. Let's pretend the unfortunate incident never happened, shall we?"

Her clear sapphire gaze swept over his crotch. "Do you think I broke it?"

His joystick ignored the slight discomfort, rising to the occasion with a flourish. All casual-like, he turned and faced the counter to hide his hard-on. What the hell had he been thinking? Inviting Gracie inside was only begging for trouble.

"I'm fine," he said, addressing the stove. "Or I will be if I get to my meeting on time." He reached for his car keys on the corner of the counter and jingled them, hoping to divert her attention from his crotch. "I'll drive you and Murphy home."

She stared at the embarrassing bulge even well-cut pants couldn't hide, and said, "You can't drive in your condition. I should take a look at it. Maybe if we ice you down—"

"No time for that. Let's go." He heard a hint of desperation creep into his voice. Yanking his tie loose, he unfastened the top button to release the sudden constriction.

"This could be serious," she continued. "I'll drive you to the hospital. I heard about this couple, they were having some afternoon delight. He zigged, she zagged. Poor guy missed the bull's eye, and hit the Brawny Brute extra-firm mattress so hard he fractured his—"