Chapter 16, Scene 2

Grace studied the bulletin board. Flyers for sex toys, announcements for Screaming-O Contests, personal ads, and notices on every topic near and dear to fetish fans covered every square inch. Etiquette of Juggling Multiple Partners vied with Joys of Submission, Five Rules of Talking Dirty, and BDSM for Dummies. Finally, she found what she was looking for:

SUBMISSIVES--LIVE YOUR DREAM, BE A SLAVE: Replace free will with subservience and humiliation. Duties include bartending, stripping, and anything else Madame Discipline demands. No yiffing required. Mandatories: BDSM, role playing, bar tending.

She re-read the job description, slowly this time. If "yiffing" meant what she thought, she was glad it wasn't on the task list. A soft snicker escaped as she imagined herself saying, Sorry, dear. Headache. No yiffing tonight.

It wasn't as though she was really applying for the position, she told herself, imagining Nick's reaction if he found out. She only wanted to meet Madame Discipline and pump her for information. If necessary, she had a great cover story about how she and Krissi were BFFs, and how she was worried because Krissi hadn't showed up at the casino last night.

The first part of the form was easy. She filled in her mother's maiden name instead of hers, a phony address, and her own cell number. Job experience required more creativity. After chewing on the pencil, she invented expertise as a slave and bar maid in a fictional Jersey City fetish club. For good measure, she quoted her qualifications as naughty school girl, saucy French maid, and the ever-popular Nurse Payne. Proud of her inspiration, she signed the form with a flourish, folded the paper, inserted it in the slot.

As she turned to leave, a sign posted beside the stairs caught her attention. It warned: Office Area: Authorized Employees Only.

What if Miss Coco was upstairs?

Every moment counted, she reminded herself. Not only Miss Coco's life, but Ruby-Pearl's reason for living hinged on her persistence. For a moment, Grace tortured herself by dwelling on her friend's gentle face crumpled in distress at the loss of her dog, tears spilling from faded blue eyes, before remembering her own future was at stake too.

She shook her head. As usual, she'd survive. But she wasn't so sure about Ruby-Pearl.

Grace headed for the stairs. If anyone asked, she was looking for MadameDiscipline to apply in person for the slave position.