Chapter 27

To Grace's utter surprise, brunch was a huge success. Who knew the men in her life could cook? Guilt had its uses. When the meal ended, it was almost noon. Feeling as if she'd already put in a full day, she took Auntie Beth up on a rare offer to clear the table. Dad and Connor slipped away to check out the beach, probably regarding it as a reward for their cooking efforts. Nick lingered a few minutes longer, taking her aside to whisper a few sexy words about what he wanted to do to her when he got her alone. Oh my! Long after the door closed behind him, her girl-parts still quivered in anticipation.

The sense of acceptance was overwhelming. She would have liked some quiet time to process the warm and fuzzy feelings caused by her father's softening, not to mention Nick's support, but Auntie Beth's birthday loomed. Her aunt deserved a kick-ass celebration for her unswerving support, and Grace intended to provide it. Any processing would be done wheeling a shopping cart.

One hour later, she returned from the supermarket with a load of groceries and renewed resolve. She had tasted respect and it was addictive. In order to keep the feeling alive, she intended to pull out all stops.

Auntie Beth joined her at the counter, and started emptying a bag. "About time you stood up to that pair," she said, referring to Dad and Connor. She plopped four boxes of linguini on the counter. "I think you scared the shit out of them."

Grace shrugged. "It was a beginning. Old attitudes are hard to change. I have to convince Dad that a woman of action can be capable and farsighted," Grace said as she started unloading a bag. "And it wouldn't hurt to reinforce that notion with Nick."

Auntie Beth pulled out six heads of garlic and set them beside the linguini. "Don't worry so much. Nick has seen the light, and your father will come around. Believe it or not, he loves us both."

"I suppose, but he sure has a funny way of showing it." Grace put butter, milk, and two containers of freshly-grated Parmesan into the fridge. "At least, he remembered to bring you a birthday gift." Her gaze swung to the vase of roses on the counter. Obeying an impulse, she plucked out a perfect specimen. The center petals were still tightly furled. She sniffed deeply. The spicy sweetness took her breath away.

Her subconscious stirred, yawned, perked up.

She passed the rose to Auntie Beth, who inhaled, sighed in ecstasy. "Man, who would have thought Paddy had such good taste? That rosebud packs a punch."

Neurons in Grace's cerebral cortex hummed and pulsed as they re-established connections. Rosebud ... flower pattern ... Krissi's bondage collar ...

She closed her eyes and tried to remember exactly what the collar looked like. It was hard, because Krissi's bloated face kept getting in the way. Surely, the flowers on the collar had been rosebuds.

She snapped her eyes open and stared at her aunt. "I know who stole the dogs," she yelled.

Auntie Beth's eyes clouded with worry. She placed her hand on her niece's forehead. "Do you have a fever, Gracie? Maybe the excitement over your father's about-face—"

Grace brushed her aunt's hand away. "I'm fine. The roses reminded me of the collar Krissi was wearing when she died. It was embossed with rosebuds." At her aunt's confused expression, she elaborated. "Don't you see? It wasn't a bondage collar. It was a dog collar belonging to Rosebud, one of the missing dogs. One or both of the Lombardi's stole Miss Coco. What are the odds Krissi was wearing the collar for a kinky bondage game?"

Auntie Beth responded with a squeal and a little jig that caused all her wobbly parts to jiggle. "You're the most brilliant woman in the world. So, now what? Are we gonna let your hunky partner in on your brainwave?"