Chapter One

Garlic Bread and Chilli were on the menu in the cafeteria, and the smell wafting through the hallway turned Emmeline's stomach, sending her hurtling back to the bathroom for the second time that day. No one told her that morning sickness would last well into the afternoon nearing the middle of her 9th month. The misnomer taunted her, laughing every time she felt her stomach lurch. She rubbed her belly as she came out of the bathroom and found Nicholas still waiting for her outside with a bottle of ginger ale. It was the only thing that settled her stomach. She looked gratefully at him as she grabbed the bottle and took a big sip.

"What would I do without you?" Emmeline joked, still feeling a little green. Nausea slowly ebbed away, but the baby, heavy in her belly, was doing somersaults, making Emmeline feel uncomfortable. "Oh baby," she said, muttering to herself.

"Is she kicking?" Nicholas was always so concerned. Was she okay? What was the baby doing? What could he do to help? Perhaps a little more overprotective than Emmeline was always comfortable with.

"Why are you so sure it's a girl?" Emmeline asked, grinning.

"Because I just know. Besides, I want a girl. I want one that looks just like you, with your big blue eyes and that little mole on your cheek." A goofy smile crossed his face as he passed his hands through his rich dark hair. Emmeline loved it when he did that; it sent chills dancing up her spine. No wonder she ended up pregnant!

"Yes! A baby girl!"  Callum came up between them, wrapping his arms around their shoulders. He was Nicholas's best friend, known school-wide as a terrible flirt and surprisingly tall. "How's my little girl doing?" asked Callum, leaning low to kiss Emmeline's stomach.

"Listen!" said Nicholas, playfully rehashing a scene they had gone through a thousand times. "That's my baby girl in there!"

"A guy can dream, right?" Callum winked.

"Yes, and only in your dreams!" To Emmeline, this was so normal she surprised herself by responding.

"Are you ready for the test, Nicky?" asked Callum.

"Don't remind me!" answered Nicholas, breathing out heavily. "It was so busy at work last night I hardly got a chance to study."

Emmeline stiffened a bit. She felt bad. He was only working so much because of her and the baby. The last thing she wanted was for his marks to suffer. Fortunately, Nicholas was smart and could usually keep up with everything.

"Ah, knowing you, you'll ace it without even cracking a book."

"Here's hoping. I'll see you up there."

As Callum hurried off to class, Emmeline saw him link arms with another girl, and she could see her giggle and curl in closer.  Girls loved him, and he usually had a line of them vying for his attention.  Emmeline was happy they were friends and had been for ages.  Emmeline turned to Nicholas, her mind full, always thinking of what was going to happen in the next few weeks. "How can you be so relaxed? I spend most of my time being terrified, and you take this all in like it's no big deal."

"Listen, I know a baby is a big deal, and the timing isn't ideal, but this is my baby. And I'm going to celebrate every day I get to spend with her," said Nicholas. "No matter what."

"Well, you can spend as much time with him and her as you want," said Emmeline, misspeaking. She made a face.

"Twins now!" he teased.

"No.., I meant, him OR her, kinda a big difference, I guess. I wish just for once I'd say what I mean instead of what comes out. The pregnancy just make that worse!"

"It's adorable."

"Don't patronize me." Emmeline playfully scrunched up her face.

He leaned over and kissed her on the nose. "Well, it is. I better go; see you after Chem class, okay."