Chapter Seven

Emmeline walked down the stairs boldly with her newfound sense of purpose, adding a wiggle to her hips. She carried Millie snuggled in her arms. For the first time in months, she felt like herself, like she could finally breathe.

She landed on the last stair and hopped around the corner. Everyone sat sipping glasses of wine, gossiping about the latest decision by the town to add an odd art feature along the river that seemed to have everyone riled up. Emmeline sucked in her breath and forcefully let it out.

"Oh, Emmeline, there you are," said Betty, Emmeline's former grade one teacher, as she walked into the living room. Betty's short curly brown hair was cut in the typical grandma style, and she wore a soft, sympathetic smile.

"Hello, Mrs. Goldish." Emmeline's tone naturally reverted back to the age of six before she could stop herself.

"Emmeline dear, bring Millie in here," her mother called from the kitchen.

Emmeline stepped forth and presented her non-frilly daughter. Her mother pinched her lips together and breathed in slowly before she stood up. The look of disapproval swiftly vanished, and she said, "Everyone, I would like to present my granddaughter, Emmeline, Millie for short. You should have seen her earlier; she has this stunning dress that I was hoping she was going to wear...H" her words slowed down slightly at the end of her sentence. "But you know children, always making a mess for their parents. Isn't that right, Emmeline?"

"Actually, Mom, I put the dress on her, and I decided that she would look better in this."

Her mother's mouth dropped open. Emmeline couldn't help but smirk with pride.

"Aren't kids funny?" said Amy, struggling to regain her composure. "Why don't we head into the living room." She ushered everyone out of the kitchen. As she walked past, she leaned over and whispered forcefully into Emmeline's ear, "I do expect you to be on your best behavior. They are here for you, and they are my guests. Get it together."

"You know, Mom, I think this is the first moment that I have actually got it together."

The door opened. A familiar shrill echoed in her ears. Emmeline instinctively held her daughter closer.

"Why Dorothy, you're here. I am so glad you could make it," Amy said in a sickly-sweet tone that made Emmeline's teeth want to fall out of her head.

"Mom, what is she doing here?" she asked, trying to stand taller and pushing her shoulders back.

"She's the baby's grandmother. She is supposed to be here," Amy answered through a forced smile. She leaned over and whispered in Emmeline's ear, "I'm not thrilled either, but I strongly feel that fences should be mended for Millie's sake. The first step is to invite her over and have a civilized conversation. Besides, she agreed to back off, didn't she?"

"There's my granddaughter," said Dorothy in a grandiose tone, capturing the entire room's attention as if the scene at the hospital had never happened. Emmeline grabbed a blanket on the couch and threw it over Millie's shoulder just before Dorothy wrapped her arms around Emmeline and Millie, holding on too tightly.

"You need to leave." Emmeline pressed her away as Millie whimpered.

The guests flooded into the living room, sensing some juicy gossip.

"I just came here to see my granddaughter. You haven't even let me hold her yet," said Dorothy, playing the victim.

"That's because you tried to take her away from me. What did you expect?"

"I was helping. Doesn't anyone understand that? I was doing what any decent mother would do, volunteering to clean up after your mess. You could be a little grateful."

Emmeline's mouth gaped open like a codfish's. Her mother elbowed her in the arm, reminding Emmeline her appearance was unbecoming.

"Now," continued Dorothy. "Now, will you let me see my granddaughter?"

"Over my dead body."

"Listen up, young lady. I am her grandmother, I have the right to see her."

By this time, the group of women in attendance were practically salivating. This must be the most interesting baby shower they had ever been to.

"You, Dorothy, are only looking after your own interests. You want everyone to look at you like the dutiful grandmother that had to swoop in after your son was duped by the town slut. Well, I can tell you something: I don't need you, and neither does Millie. We are doing just fine." Emmeline was grateful that the words came out just as she intended. There was a first time for everything.

"I think you are overreacting, child." Dorothy pulled at the hairs at the side of her head, yanking several of them out one by one, and then straightened her dark cherry blazer.

"I am not a child. I stopped being one the moment I pushed my own child out of my body. Now get out." Her voice was cool and even.

"I am not being kicked out of my own granddaughter's baby shower." Dorothy's face turned the same color as her blazer, and she pursed her lips.

"Mom, I think that's enough," Nicholas said, shutting the front door behind him. There had been so much commotion, no one noticed he was there. He mouthed "Sorry" to Emmeline and then wrapped his arm around his mother in a formal hug.

"Nicholas, darling, I am so glad you're here. I can't do anything with this girl. I tell you, your next girlfriend should be much more reasonable."

"I'm not going to have any more girlfriends, Mom, I told you that before." Nicholas ran his hand through his hair. "I think you should go. This is not the time. Besides, we talked about starting to mend fences, not bursting in and taking over, remember?"

"You're young, and I just don't want you to shut all your doors before you become an adult. You know I only want the best for you and Millie. Her, on the other hand..." Nicholas glared at her, and Dorothy changed course. She turned to the other women in the room and said, "He only started shaving a few months ago, just a baby, really."

Nicholas blushed, stammering.

 Emmeline's lips drew a hard line. She was trying to hold her temper, but her will was slipping. "She's your mother, Nicholas. Do something with her, or I will."

"Emmeline, why don't we go?" Nicholas said. "I have something to show you." There was a spark in his eye that intrigued Emmeline.

"She can't leave!" shouted Amy, startled. "It's her baby shower!"

The other women in the room nodded, putting down their chips and deviled eggs, and glancing at their presents on the coffee table, as if to prove Amy right. They weren't too eager for the show to be over.

"Well, either she leaves, or I do." Emmeline shrugged.

"You do not have the authority to kick me out," Dorothy said, her hands on her hips, spitting out the words like a viper.

"Then that just leaves me," Emmeline said. "Sorry, Mom. Give me a minute Nicholas, to get Millie ready." And she walked up the stairs to her bedroom with Nicholas hot on her tail.

"I'm so sorry about my mom. I don't know what has got into her. She's like a different person these days," he said, taking his daughter from Emmeline while she packed the diaper bag. He kissed Millie on the head and snuggled her in closely. Emmeline knew how much he hated being away from her. He said over and over how wrong it felt.

"I'm sorry, I just can't take it anymore."

"I know, babe. I'm sorry I didn't make it here sooner. I just heard she had come."

"At least you're here now." She stopped what she was doing and placed a hand on his chest. Touching him had a calming effect. He leaned in and kissed her gently on the lips.

"I have a surprise for you," he whispered in her ear.

"Really?" She could use a little surprise, a little fun.

"Yes, let's go now. I can't want to wait to show you."

Emmeline grinned.