V. Cracked Childhoods

I'll admit, I didn't think Moe would ever have the ability to make me text Brendon back. But here I am a week later, waiting for Brendon's knock on my front door.

"Kristine, couldn't you have cleaned up the living room a little bit?" My persistent mother whined.

"I was going to have him give me lessons in the office anyway, so what does it matter?" I asked, annoyed. She frustratingly hurried to pick up as much junk off the end tables as she could while trying to lecture me at the same time.

"Because, Kristine, he has to go through the living room in order to make it to the office, am I correct?" She sassed.

"Right," I said as I rolled my eyes. "How could I forget."

The doorbell rang as I finished my last remark, causing my mom to swirl into an immediate panic.

"Oh god! Kristine, distract him at the door while I finish cleaning the rest of your junk up!" She screeched as she rushed into the kitchen to grab the trash can. I sighed as I slowly got up from the couch and made my way over to the front door. My heart pounded from anxiety as I opened the door and was greeted with a grinning Brendon.

"Hello Kristine! It's nice to see you again," Brendon beamed as he stood with his hands folded in front of him. He looked so civilized in his vest and little red bowtie. I concluded that he must dress like this every day, which I found adorable.

I gave him a small smile and nodded, instead of actually saying hello back to him. I stood awkwardly at the door for a few seconds as I waited for my mother to give me the signal for Brendon to come in.

"Mom!" I shouted in an attempt to break the silence. "Brendon's here!" My mom rushed to the door and greeted Brendon with shaky breaths.

"Hello Brendon, it's great to see you again." She pushed me out of the way to shake his hand. "Come in, come in!" she said in an over-friendly voice. He grabbed his guitar case that was sitting on the pavement next to him and walked politely into our home. There's no backing out of this now. I didn't want to ruin the excitement that had built up in his eyes.

"Follow Kristine, she'll take you to the office where her guitar is." My mom stated.

I led Brendon up the stairs and down the hallway that led to the bedrooms. I pondered running quickly into my room and locking the door to get out of the awkward situation ahead of me, but decided that would be unfair for him and led him to office like I was supposed to instead.

"This is a nice home you have," Brendon said to break the silence.

"It's alright," I shrugged, realizing this was only the second thing that I have ever said to him.

"This room isn't used much, is it?" He asked as he ran a hand along the old mahogany desk.

"Not really," I said as I shook my head. "It was supposed to be my little brother's room but, he, um..." Brendon raised an eyebrow, genuinely concerned about what I was talking about. "There was a miscarriage." His eyes grew soft suddenly as he looked down slightly.

"I'm very sorry to hear that," he said as he gave me a small smile in an attempt to comfort me.

"It's alright, that happened a few years ago," I replied. "Um, you can set your case next to that chair over there." I said in an attempt to change the subject.

"Alright," he said as he made his way over the the chair and started to open his guitar case. I sat in the chair across from him and went to grab my guitar, but saw he was staring intensly at it. I waved a hand in front of his face jokingly to get his attention.