IX. Me Without You

It's been about a month since Brendon shut me out of his house back in November. Ever since I heard the click of the lock from his door I've been able to do nothing but sit in my room and sob. My mother decided that since I lost the only friends I pretty much ever had, I just had  to make some new ones as soon as possible.

She's invited almost every single one of her friend's kids over to our house for a "play date"- so I've had an assortment of emos, preps, hipsters, hippies- you name it in my room. But of course, every one of them that's walked through my bedroom door has jumped out of my window with a bribe of five dollars and two extra hours of free time in their day.

A lot of people at school have tried comforting me, but they're mostly people who never cared about me before. So I basically shut them all out and continued to sit at a table alone once again.

I tried to act like Moe and Brendon never existed- but it's hard to ignore their existence when Moe is the city "mystery murder case" and Brendon literally lives next door to me. It kills me inside everytime I go outside and have to see his house; or in yesterday's case, I had to see him.

I was walking to the mailbox and trying to avoid clumps of snow while doing so, when Brendon walked out of his house. He was wearing a long brown coat and a scarf. It was the type of scarf that most wanna-be hipsters would wear, but he somehow made it look cute. I stayed frozen at my mailbox, hoping he wouldn't see me, but at the same time hoping that he would. He stood on his porch, talking angrily to someone on his phone. I stood there for a good five minutes before I couldn't bear the cold anymore, and I slowly started to walk up my driveway. But of course, to my dismay, there was a patch of ice, and I slipped. I didn't do this gracefully either, I screeched and hit my head hard on the mailbox and twisted my ankle. Brendon saw this, and immediately stopped talking to the person on the other end of the phone. He stood there, frozen in thought for a few seconds before he hesitantly approached me.

"Are you okay?" He asked as he crouched next to me. I nodded and set my hand on the grass to support me while I tried to sit up, but then realised from the pressure I was putting on my wrist that I had sprained that as well, and fell back onto the ice in one swift motion. He let out a quiet uncontrolled laugh, but then quickly recollected himself and kept a straight face.

"Here, I'll help you inside." He lifted me up like a prince would carry a princess. It would've felt like a fairy tale if we were still on good terms- The prince would smile down at the princess as the princess laughed and looked into the eyes of the love of her life. But this wasn't a fairytale, and Brendon could no longer be my prince.

He dropped me off at my doorstep, and didn't say goodbye to me as he walked back down my driveway and back to his house. Although, when I was walking into my house and glanced in his direction, I could have sworn I saw a tear dripping down his cheek.

___________

Hello everyone, long time no update.

Yes, I am still alive. Yes, this story is going to continue.

Thank you for all of you that stuck with me through this unplanned writing hiatus and still reading my stuff... ily all.

Just remember that you're beautiful and I love you❤️

- Alexa💜