VI. Friend, Please Call Him

"No way," Moe said after she took a sip of her milkshake. "He took his shirt off?!" I giggled slightly before taking a sip of my own milkshake. It was three days after my lesson with Brendon, and Moe was desperate for all of the details. We decided to meet outside of "The Milk-Shake," which, despite it's name, is actually the best place to get milkshakes in town.

"Yeah," I shrugged, as if it was no big deal. She set her milkshake down and raised an eyebrow at me all while folding her hands in front of her.

"How hot did he look?" she asked. I looked down, slightly embarrassed.

"Pretty hot," I chuckled. I shifted my gaze back up to Moe who had a slight smirk on her face. She had her hair pulled back into a ponytail, and some fringe hung down in her face. She had a septum and eyebrow piercing, which surprisingly didn't make her look like a wanna-be emo. She had a necklace shaped like a heart that was engraved with the phrase "don't be a dick," and several rubber bracelets lining her arms with various band names. She always looked confident, and was never afraid to express who she was. Meanwhile I sat across from her in an oversized sweatshirt and black leggings, with my hair pulled in front of my face.

"Well, I'd be interested in that," she said as she sat back in her seat and kicked her combat boots up onto the chair next to us. Even in the little time that I've known her (about two weeks), I've noticed that she tends to do this quite a lot. She jumped slightly when her phone buzzed in her pocket, and she looked quite concerned when she read the message that was sent to her.

"Is everything okay?" I asked worriedly.

"Yeah," she said in a not so convincing way. "It was just a wrong number I guess" she shoved her phone back into her pocket and bit her lip anxiously. "So," she said, desperately trying to change the subject. "When is your next date?"

"It's not a date," I replied, respecting that she didn't want to talk about whatever just happened. "But I don't think I'm going to schedule another lesson." The fake "everything is totally fine" smile on her face quickly dropped as she sat back up in her seat and folded her arms on the table in front of her.

"What?!" she said, shocked. "Kristine, you obviously like him, he has an interest in you, what is the problem?" I tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear and shrugged.

"I just don't think I need to embarrass myself anymore than I already have." She rolled her eyes and formed her lips into a straight line from aggravation.

"What is with you?" she said in a hostile tone. "You think everyone hates you but nobody actually does." I felt tears start to form in my eyes as I looked down at my lap. "Kristine, I'm sorry but I've seen the way people look at you. They all think you're the most adorable thing on this planet, and I promise you that anybody in the school would be lucky to be your friend." She wiped a tear that started to drip from my eye in an attempt to cheer me up. "Honey I understand what not feeling wanted is like, but I swear to you and any god that might be looking down on us that you are wanted. And even if it's just by me, then at least you're wanted by someone." I looked up at her and saw that a tear was forming in her own eye. I chuckled slightly as I leaned over the table to give her a hug, which she returned without hesitation.

"Now that we've pulled ourselves out of that emotional shit-fest," she chuckled. "How about we call Brendon and ask him on another date?" She pulled out my phone that she managed to take from my pocket and waved it in front of me.

"Moe..." I said hesitantly. "The speech you gave me was touching but I just can't get the courage to call him." She nodded her head sympathetically and let out a sigh.

"Well," she said. "I guess it's a good thing I'm calling him for you." The screen lit up with the words "calling Brendon..." and somehow my heart managed to feel like it was trying to escape my chest.

"Moe please don't!" I yelled nervously. She held a finger up, signaling me to be quiet.

"Dammit," she said after a few seconds of silence. "Voicemail."

"Great," I said relived. "Now can you please hang up the-"

"Hello," she said suddenly, cutting me off. "This is Kristine's friend, I'm in charge of her phone while she's volunteering at the animal shelter," she giggled before she continued with her next statement, "but she would like to schedule another lesson with you. So, if you could text her and tell her when you're available next that would be very helpful. Stay rad and peace out." She pressed the "end call" button and tossed the phone across the table to me. After a few seconds of processing what had just happened I laughed and shoved the phone back into my pocket.

"The animal shelter?" I chucked.

"I thought it would make you look cuter," she stated. "I figure he likes the innocent type." I giggled again and and smiled across the table at her.

"Is it bad that I've only known you for a short while and you're my best friend?" I asked.

"No," she stated. "Because you're mine too."

_______

{sorry for the long wait for this chapter please don't hate me ❤️}

{Also I might be changing some of the names of the chapters in this book so sorry for any future confusion}