Chapter Nine

"Remember: the time you feel lonely is the time you most need to be yourself. Life's cruellest irony" –Douglas Coupland

I hear the sound of my phone ringing beside me, grabbing hold of it from my lap I look down at the contact ID to see that it's...Harris.

Wiping away the dry tear from my cheek I pick the phone up and put it next to my ear so I can hear his voice.

"Tyra, where are you?" I missed his voice.

It sounds the same.

"In the woods" I manage to get out in a whisper.

Harris lets out a small cough from the other end and I can hear the faint sound of an engine- he's driving.

"I'll be there in five minutes, don't move" He cuts the phone off on me before I can say another word.

Putting the phone back in my lap I look straight ahead once again and just look at the moon. Why do people leave without saying anything and then decide to come back acting like nothing happened?

Harris thinks that when he left without telling me that I would be happy, that I would be ok but I'm not.

He hurt me the way I knew that he would and I didn't want that. I didn't want it to be him, I wanted him to prove me wrong but he proved me right.

I hear the sound of a car behind me, turning around I'm met with a car with no headlights and I know that it's Harris

The engine is left on as I see him open the door of the car and come out. His face looks the same, everything looks the same.

"Come on" He says to me softly standing in front of me.

Looking away from him I look back at the moon one last time before getting up to go

Looking away from him I look back at the moon one last time before getting up to go. Walking to the back door of the car I get in and sit down.

Harris gets in the front and reverses out so he can get out of the woods. Relaxing my head back on the head restraint, focusing my eyes straight ahead I see Harris looking at me through the rear view mirror a few times.

"Do you want to come to my place?" He asks.

"I want to go home" A tear slips from my eye but this time I don't wipe it.