Chapter 25

Merlin did not sleep that night. Not after what happened between him and Mordred.

After getting to his feet after the insistent he had a shower and came back to the bedroom. Everyone was fast asleep and he was very thankful for that. The lights were out and no one stirred as he walked in and crawled under the duvet. He was still crying. He thought he had to be empty after an hour of tears in the shower but he was far from done. The pillow under his head was already pretty wet and his eyes was sore. He tried to cry as quietly as possible and to swallow the sobs, but as soon as one particularly loud one escaped, someone woke up. "Hello?" Merlin covered his mouth and didn't even breathe. He just laid there on his side with his hand over his mouth. "Merlin is that you?" Gwaine asked in the dark. But Merlin didn't answer. "What's going on?" Whispered Percival to Gwaine. Gwaine leaned over a little to whisper to Percival. "I think Merlin is crying." The sobbing boy knew they'd come over as soon as he had to breathe and a loud, shaking sigh escaped his lips. Gwaine walked over to Merlin and Merlin slowly sat up. The punk boy leaned down in front of Merlin and placed his hands on Merlins knee. Percival sat down right next to Merlin and wrapped a muscular arm around the skinny boy. Merlin didn't fight the touch and leaned his head on Percival's shoulder. Gwaine looked worried and so did Percival. "What's going on?" Said Gwaine. Merlin just looked down on his hands and started fiddling. He didn't want to tell them. It was the last thing he wanted. Not only was it an uncomfortable topic but he knew they'd tell Arthur and Merlin had already solid proof that the blonde would hurt people who hurt his Merlin. And Arthur could not get a third strike. He'd get expelled for sure and Merlin would have to walk through the rest of the school year knowing it was his fault. So Merlin swallowed back some tears and answered with the most obvious answer he could think of. "I had another nightmare." Both Gwaine and Percival made an understanding noise and the muscular boy stroke Merlins arm comforting. Gwaine sighed and looked up at Merlin through his lashes. "You know you can wake one of us up if you have nightmares Merlin. We know how horrible they are for you." Merlin nodded and swallowed. In one way he did not lie. The entire incident between him and Mordred was a nightmare in itself. He felt so vulnerable and so naked. Someone. A stranger had seen his body his every scar and taken advantage of him in a silent bathroom. And it was a nightmare. So he shouldn't feel bad for lying to his friends. Right? Gwaine patted Merlins knee and stood up a little. "Do you want one of us to stay up with you?" Merlin just chuckled and shook his head. "No. I'll be alright guys. But thanks for the though." Percival and Gwaine nodded thoughtfully before slowly returning to their beds. Merlin was awake for probably another hour until sleep got the best of him.

He had nothing but nightmares for the rest of the week.