Chapter 25.2

Under the bright sunlight and accompanied by Tarlequin's cheerful melodies, the Open Wound suddenly didn't look as dark as Nume had remembered it anymore. Yet some of their tribe stopped and stared for a moment before they started their descent. Far ahead of them, Zar'gno was carrying a cart down into the valley. They were too big for the path so he'd offered to carry them down one by one. With a loud squeak, Luthi suddenly flew off, heading straight for the ruins. Nume wondered what had caught his interest but she couldn't make anything out for they were still quite far away and everything was rather grey down in the valley.

'Well, somebody's found an old friend.' Feyn stated, landing next to Nume and folding her large wings carefully behind her back. Confronted with confused looks, she then added: 'That Baymout is waiting down there.'

Kran halted all of a sudden, causing Nume to run right into him and swear quietly. 'Are you sure it's Bay? Because some other Baymout would be... devastating.'

'I'll go and check.' Feyn replied, jumping off the path down the high cliff, not spreading her wings for so long, it made Nume worry she might just burst on the ground, but the Harpyie caught her fall in one elegant movement and flew away at a great speed.

With a loud sigh, Nume continued her way, always following Tarlequin who swiftly jumped ahead of them. The path was narrow and some of their followers pushed themselves against the wall, careful not to get too close to the cliff. The Fauns, however, didn't seem to mind at all. It reminded Nume of Tarlequin climbing down the cliff before they'd met Sethara. Now the thought made her sad, but she quickly brushed it off, focusing on her steps and the melodies Tarlequin filled the air with.

'Can you see that?' Kran asked her, pointing at something in the distance once they had nearly reached the bottom of the cliff.

'What?' Nume asked, searching the place, unsure what to look for.

'There's another one of these plants! Remember, we saw one by the sea just outside... just outside Sethara's cave.' Kran explained. Now Nume looked again, still unable to see.

'Do you mean one of the blinking ones?' She asked curiously.

'Yes, one of the Moodswings.'

'I can't see it.' Nume gave him a short sad glance.

'I'll show you when we're there.' Kran replied with a smile.

When they reached the bottom, Nume plunged herself on the ground, rubbing her legs. They were shaking and she was sure they might just start cramping if she walked another step. The days they'd spent wandering K'haren had certainly helped her grow some muscles but it was nothing compared to climbing down such a cliff. Moments later, Kran joined her, also plunging to the ground. When Tarlequin walked up to them with a broad smile and not a hint of exhaustion, they exchanged a slightly bothered and envious glance.

'Did you want to suggest taking a break, my dearest Great Leaders?' the Faun teased with an even bigger smile now.

'Well, it's lunchtime, isn't it?' Nume replied tiredly.

'Indeed, it is, unfortunately however, our carts have been kindly carried right into the ruins by our dear friend Zar'gno. I guess that means no food until we make it there.' Tarlequin said unbearably joyfully.

With yet another sigh, Nume pushed herself back on her feet, holding her arms out towards Kran so she could help him get up. He gave her a smirk, grabbed her hands and let her help drag him back up on his feet.

'Did you gain weight?' she asked him critically.

'Hey!' he gave her an offended look before eying himself up carefully. She laughed at that, of course he hadn't, he couldn't have, their journey didn't exactly give one a change to gain weight.