Chapter 33.2

Heavy rain drummed on a small wooden cabin's roof and every once and again, thunder rolled over the land. In the light of a flickering candle, a young man sat at a table, bowed deep over a book. His feather danced over the pages, writing down everything he had learned in the past. Whenever he noticed something that wasn't the way somebody else had described it in the future, he turned a few pages over and scribbled the truth over the false assumptions.

What better way is there to write a history book than to write it in the actual time it is about, the man thought to himself. The rain stopped again as suddenly as it had started but thunder was still to be heard from afar when the man finally put his feather down, leaving the book wide open and going to sleep. On the opened pages, the following was written in a hurried handwriting with little effort to illustrate anything the way the rest of the book showed.

It was hard to get close to the child for I don't want the public to see me. I know a war will break out only a few years from now and I shall not be a part of it. Thus it is important that nobody knows about me. However, I managed to get to the boy one night when both parents were fighting, as they often do. Their stupidity surprises me, the mother complained about her son not having a tale, the father was angry about him having horns and scales on parts of his body. What did they expect from a mixed raced child?

However, I am no convinced that this child will truly grow up to be the man I met in the future. Those things the parents complained about are obvious trademarks and by my knowledge, there won't be another half-dretho, half-phraio. Thus this child is unique and will one day listen to the name of Raf'ney-krush.

My visions keep growing stronger and reaching further. I have recently seen said man with a dragon, calling him his father. It was the dragon, I think, who will give him his name. After all, Raf'ney-krush is dragon language and means peace bringer.

On my recent journeys looking for more information about the army of the night, I have entered the dwarven halls and seen with astonishment that there is a statue there of a woman who strongly resembles the outcast I remember from the future. Yet I do not know how this is possible thus I deem it a coincidence. In the dwarven archives, however, I have found and important piece of the puzzle. It looks like the army of the night can only exist through their queen and king. Legend says that if both queen and king were defeated, every soldier would turn to fog.

When I left the halls and travelled all the way out of K'haren, towards the north, I met a young faun named Tarlequin. Of course I remember him from the future, but he didn't have a clue who I was. In his young years, he is very nervous and suspicious, but friendly as always none the less. I asked him about a prophecy, careful not to say anything to specific for I didn't know whether the curse might also strike me and then no longer strike Raf in the future. Tarlequin was truly surprised about my question, but he knew what I was talking about. Through him, I found out that the prophecy had already been spoken and somebody who travelled time could not be affected by the curse. Of course I did not tell him that I was such a traveller, though I assume he suspected something.

We travelled together for a few days, for he was leaving K'haren, too. He refused to tell me why, though, but I assume it's something to do with a certain siren. Word about her is everywhere in K'haren, already now she seems to be involved in many things. From fauns other than him, however, I've never heard a single positive word about said siren.

Outside of K'haren, we faced many dangers and at one crucial point, I decided to jump into the future to avoid certain death by golem. Obviously, I couldn't leave Tarlequin behind so I took him with me. It cost me very much energy and we didn't jump very far. Before, I had only managed to take a breathing thing the size of a squirrel with me on jumps. The nasty thing bit me, I don't think it was trying to thank me that way. However, it looks like I am stronger when I'm in a stressful situation. That might also explain how I could fall so far back in time as a child.

I am now in a land called Trunfa where it is very hot and wet. It rains a lot and we get proper thunder storms every other day. Though they aren't as intense as those in the dragon mountains were. The main areas here are populated by less intelligent creatures, the more intelligent ones tend to live by themselves and not in herds, swarms or tribes as most creatures in K'haren do. I do not think I'll find anything of importance here but I will continue my journey to the east, hoping to find some form of society there. I have heard a story about a huge library high above a cliff by the seaside. Though the source of that story was a drunken Tarlequin...

A small part of the right page was still empty, showing the blank, yellow paper. Wind blew through the gaps in the wooden wall and made the pages move as if they were alive, breathing evenly. The man, however, was still awake. He kept turning from one side to the other, unsettled with what he had seen in his last vision. He refused to write it down for it was too horrible.

The man had seen a scene of blood and murder. Parents lay slain with their child crying in their blood, seeking shelter between their still warm bodies. But the worst part about it was that the man knew who had committed the crime. It had been the child who had been just so exhausted and tired. It had wanted nothing other than for its parents to stop fighting so it could sleep in peace for the first time in its life.

He knew he had to save the child, but his feeling told him that the vision was still a few years away and thus the man had no choice but to continue his journey in search for answers.

// Don't forget to vote and leave a comment below, thank you! Oh and, if you haven't already, I'd appreciate if you could add this book to your reading list :)