Chapter 32.2

Nume stared in shock at where Mersha had been standing. He was gone, just vanished. How was this possible? What had he been talking about, she couldn't remember much of it. If just Kran or Tarlequin were with her now, they'd know what they should do. But she was all on her own and didn't have a clue what had just happened. Just when she was about to wake everybody else up and tell them what had happened, a man suddenly appeared right in front of her.

She stared at the man, her eyes wide open. He was about as old as her father, his hair starting to go grey, wrinkled around his lips and eyes. When the man saw her, he laughed out loud. Without saying a word, he stepped forward and hugged Nume who failed to back away in time. Once she realised what was going on, Nume pushed the man away from her with force.

'Who are you?' she demanded to know.

'Oh, I've missed you so much, it's so good to see you!' The man spoke happily.

'What are you talking about?'

'It's the very same day, isn't it?'

'What?'

'The day Mersha disappeared, it's today, isn't it?' The man looked around at the camp and made his conclusions. 'It can't have been more than a few moments, right?'

'How do you know about Mersha? Who are you?'

'Didn't I tell you? I told you I was going to reappear in the very same spot. I just didn't know when. You see, you took the shortcut, I went the long way around.' The stranger smiled at her, his eyes shining with joy.

'You... you are Mersha?' Nume stuttered.

The man's smile grew even wider as he nodded eagerly. 'I am indeed. There's a lot for us to talk about, but, for now, I think we have an army to get rid of, isn't that right?'

Kran woke up that morning with a terrible headache. He had come to the day before in mid-air while Zar'gno had been bringing him back. At first, Kran had trouble understanding what was going on. But when he'd seen the Open Wound, he'd felt safe and as if he were going home. The thought was new to him, having a home, a proper one that didn't move constantly. Kran liked it.

For now, all he wanted was some peace and alone time. Some fauns kept watch over him and he knew that, any moment now, Pmerla, a female faun who seemed to be somewhat of their leader, would return and give him his medicine. Kran wasn't sure whether it was supposed to help him heal or die quickly. When he'd asked her where she'd got it from, she replied with moodswings. That was even more confusing for Kran. He hadn't known the plant had any positive effects at all and he didn't have a clue how one would be able to pick it without getting killed.

When Pmerla did return, Kran quickly closed his eyes and pretended to be asleep. The faun didn't mind much, though, she just went about with her routine. First, she put her hand on his forehead to take his temperature. Then, she lifted his head gently so she could drench the medicine to him. When she was done with that, Pmerla gave him some clear water to get rid of the nasty taste. Though the water didn't help against the burning in his throat.

'Pmerla?' Kran asked once she was done with everything and there was no way for him to pretend to still be asleep.

'Yes?'

'Where are the others? Where's Nume?' He had to ask, Zar'gno wouldn't answer his question, deeming him too ill to demand to know anything.

'They are alright. You were hurt, that's why Zar'gno brought you back here so we could help you. Rest now.' Pmerla said in a warm tone.

'But...'

'That's enough for now, alright? I'll be back later on, rest.' Her voice sounded more like she was giving orders now and Kran's headache was too bad for him to disobey. He couldn't remember what had happened before he came to in Zar'gno's claws. The last thing he remembered prior to that was Nume trying to get to him. Yet the picture was without a context in his mind, he didn't know what or who had hindered her from staying at his side. With a sigh, Kran closed his eyes once more and gave into the exhaustion that would eventually make him fall asleep.

Mersha stood in the house at night. He could smell the blood, it was still fresh. He was late, but that wasn't a problem to him. After all the years he'd spent in the past now, he'd learned to control his time jumping abilities. Mersha had grown to be a man and when the phraio had arrived in K'haren a few years ago, he'd decided to hide away so he couldn't disturb the events that had to happen. But now was the night he knew he had to take action. He'd had a vision of a boy, sitting in blood, crying his eyes out. It had taken him all day to return to the valley of healing but now that he was there, he jumped back in time to find the boy. At first, the intensity of the scene took his breath. But when the boy looked up at him, terror in his eyes, Mersha knew what do to.

'Hello, my son.' He said. The boy didn't reply, he just looked frightened. 'I'm here to help you. I know you didn't mean to do this, it isn't your fault. Come with me and I'll protect you.'

'No!' The boy shouted, crawling closer to his dead mother as if he wanted to hide by her side.

'It's alright, I won't hurt you and I won't tell anyone what happened. Listen to me, if they figure out that it was you, they will hurt you. If I tell them I'd have done it, all phraio will be wiped out due to my race. We can't allow that. Things will take a different turn if you just come with me. You don't want anybody to get hurt, do you?' Mersha explained. When the boy shook his head, he smiled and took his hand. 'Come on then, it's a long way. What's your name, boy?'

'Cedaamu.'

'What a lovely name. You can call me Sfero.' Mersha said as they walked out of the house and left the terrible scene behind for good.

'How did you find me?' Cedaamu asked shyly.

'Oh, that's a secret. If you earn my trust, I'll tell you someday.' Mersha promised with yet another smile.

// Here we are again, don't forget to vote and comment, thank you so much!