Chapter Six

"When someone is crying, of course, the noble thing to do is comfort them. But if someone is trying to hide their tears, it may also be noble to pretend you do not notice them." - Lemony Snicket

Chapter Six: Atoned Apologies

Leon's POV

Once I got to my house, I crashed on the sofa. My head was spinning, not because of the beer I had drunken, but because of Marissa. I still don't understand how she manages to look the way she looks. I mean only she could show up in big ass baggy sweat pants, a pair of sandals, and a hoodie with the logo North Face written across the front, and she would still look attractive.

That's exactly what she was wearing when she came to Brian's. At first when I saw her, I couldn't believe it was her. She looked different from her usual self. Like she didn't have a care in the world about what anybody thought of her appearance. Confidence was radiating from her entire being when she walked into the room, and I could feel its essence engulfing me.

Seeing her small figure search through the crowd like a lost kid, I knew then and there that that was my chance. I knew it was my chance to make things right between us. I just had to get her to talk to me, even if she didn't want to, for that matter.

My first attempt at trying to get her to talk to me backfired. She turned me down. I asked her to dance with me and I could see it in her shy eyes, that reflected the same bright flame as mine, that she didn't want to deny the offer. But, the harsh words that shot from her mouth suggested otherwise.

Tisha. I repeatedly chanted in my head. That was her excuse for not wanting to dance with me? She had a point about Tisha being my girlfriend and not wanting me to dance with other girls and all but, it's not like I was asking her to French kiss. All I wanted was to give her a chance to forgive me.

At that moment when she mentioned Tisha's name, her hand left mine. My hand suddenly felt cold. All the heat from her hand was warming mine up and it felt irresistible, a feeling I've never felt before, but it soon came to an end. Anyway, I didn't think to much on it and just accepted the fact that she didn't want to dance with me.

I'll admit I felt a little offended that she rejected me. I wasn't expecting that at all. But, the way she looked at me made the atmosphere around us feel intense, and the flames that ignited between us didn't feel like sparks anymore.

Her eyes were burning a whole through my face, but I wouldn't dare look away because I could put up a fight just as much as she could. I noticed that's what made us alike in some way. We didn't like to back down a challenge, even when we felt intimidated.

After much debating with myself, I finally gave up on trying to make her do things my way. Instead I thought if we did things her way..then maybe we would get somewhere. However, that didn't turn out the way I thought it would either. Apparently, she did not come to Brian's party to party, she came to pick up her drunk best friend.

I suggested to help her and the shocked expression on her face made me smirk a little. What? I can be helpful when I want to be or when I want something. In this case, I wanted something from her - forgiveness.

I would never admit this to her. But, I want her to forgive me because sometimes I know I speak without thinking about what I'm saying. I also need help with my three-pointers before the finals, which is coming up in a few months.