Memory

I'm in the living room of the place I used to live, sitting on the floor, playing with my toy cars. It's an autumn evening so it's already dark outside. Rain starts tipping against the only small window of the room and it catches my attention. I get up to look outside. My small legs walk me towards it but as I reach it I notice that I'm to short to view the outside through the window. I climb on top of a chair I had placed in front of it. Now I could watch the rain dripping down from the dark sky. There were a few cars driving on the road and some people walking on the pavement. All of them heading back home or meeting their beloved family somewhere else. I smile and rest my cheeks on my hand as I think about it. My family. My mother is my family. She loves me a lot and she tells me all the time. Even when I do things that upset her, she'd still say she loves me and that I shouldn't be sad, mum just doesn't like to see her little boy cry.

Everyday, before mum goes to work, she reminds me of how important I am to her and that I am the only thing in her life that means something to her. Afterwards she'd always hug and kiss me.

The rain is getting more and the sky is getting darker. People on the streets start to hurry and soon there is no one around anymore. I hope mum is on her way, she'll be ill if she stays outside in the rain for to long. Loud thunder grumbles through the clouds and it makes me fall from the chair. I'm a little scared....now I really hope that mum's going to be home soon.

I crawl back to my toys and try to distract myself.

For a few seconds it is as if someone turned on thousands of lights outside as lightning appears in the darkness. I'm scared....so scared. Where is mum? Why is she still outside? Is she safe? I'm so scared....no! I'm not allowed to be scared! I'm a big boy now and a little stormy weather like that can't scare me! I stand up and place my fists on my hips. I can see the determined grin on my face in the reflection of myself in the window. I want my mum to be proud of me! That's why I can't be scared anymore!

Another loud thunder makes me shrug. My eyes are soon flooded by tears. I wan't my mum! I'm still scared.

''LEVI!''

''Mum....''

I look around. She wasn't in this or in any of the other rooms so it must've come from outside. But it definitely was my mum!

I smiled and I could feel happienes running through every part of my body. It's such a relief to know I'm safe now.

''LEVI!!''

She calls my name again. This time it sounded more worried.

I open the window and see her standing there. Her eyes were filled with fear and it made me baffled.