The Asset

Skye and you walked down the stairs to the training area. "You know you're late." Ugh, you swear how does Ward not just collapse after every workout?! "We're tired from the morning's workout. I thought we were joining S.H.I.E.L.D., not 24 Hour Fitness." You love my bestie for that.

"Skye, I love you."

"Someone's happy today." Skye chuckles lightly and you do a handshake.

"It's called relative strength training, starting with the basics. And next time, you will do 15 push ups for every minute you're late." Ward threatens, while helping with your hand wraps.

"Fine, Mr. Fun Machine. Better than pull ups. I don't ever want to do another pull up again."

"You find yourself hanging off the edge of a building 20 stories up, you're gonna wanna do at least one. Stand here. Jab cross, like this." He shows you a few examples. "10 minutes." The two of you get to work. "You know the hardest thing about boxing?" He asked. You decide to state the obvious.

"Getting punched in the face?"

"Keeping your hands up." Did you mention you hate the constant punchy-kicky stuff? That's something both Skye and you actually agree on for once, which is a very rare occurrence.

"Why do we even have to do this? I'm sure Fitz-Simmons' supervising officer didn't make them do this muscle stuff."

"You guys both said you wanted to be field agents,like Coulson. Well, if you'd like to switch disciplines...hey Simmons! What did your S.O. give you guys for morning drills?" He calls out to the scientist working in the lab just a few yards away.

"Oh, atomistic attribute drills. Yeah, we'd name the mechanical, chemical, thermal --"

Fitz finishes her sentence. "Electrical properties of materials." Skye and you are just standing there, half asleep from the two sentences they spoke. Skye had enough. "Okay, okay you made your point." She says in a very bored tone. Ward walks back over to hold the punching bag in place.

"There will come a moment when you have to commit to this or bail. Every field agent has a defining moment. Ask Coulson. When you have to make the hard call to either dedicate yourself to this or to curl up in a ball and run." You ignored the whole point of his speech and criticize him for his last point.

"How can you run if you're curled up in a ball?" He ignored you. "Its my job as your guys' S.O. to make sure you don't die before then." Yawn, snooze fest.

Skye got curious and asked, "So what was yours, Agent Ward?" He tries dodging it by saying, "10 minutes." But you jump in to help a sista out. "Yeah, what was your 'defining moment'?" He just glares at you. You stop punching for a moment.

"Come on, tell us. We want to know." And you suddenly had an idea. "I could get Coulson to give you some more of that truth serum. You could spill your little heart out to us again." you say, trying to get under his skin, even if just a little.

"You mean my level one overshare that miraculously got you guys to cooperate? I hate to tell you this rookie, but we don't have a truth serum." You stop what you're doing and just stand there, mouth agape. Skye laughs at you but you put your new punching skills into good use and punch her in the arm, feigning hurt.

"See, now if I could get you to do that every time, you'd be out in the field on no time!" Ward says. You just stick your tongue out and he shakes his head mockingly.

May's voice comes over the speakers. "Changing course, briefing in three."

Fitz takes off his lab coat as he walks out of the lab. "Ah, looks like we're on the move." You are so relieved that you got out of training that you just had to make it known. "Yes, thank you bad guys for giving me a reason to not have to do more muscle stuff! Lets go Skye!" You throw my head back on yes, fist pumping the air. You then pull Skye upstairs roughly with a big smile on your face and Skye laughing. You can just feel Ward shaking his head in frustrated disappointment at your actions. Oh, well. At least you're finally beginning to actually get under his skin instead of the other way around.