five

When Oscar first saw Emily, Stella, and Theo, he nearly cried tears of joy. Even though he'd been told they were fine, doubt lingered in his mind like a heavy fog.

They ran up to him with relief and smiles on their faces. Well, Emily had the closest thing to a smile; in truth, he didn't think he had ever seen her truly happy before. She was the dark and brooding type that he thought only existed in movies.

Even though he wasn't really friends with any of them besides Andre, he cared about what happened to them. It wasn't every day he got abducted with his fellow classmates. A traumatic experience like that was bound to bring them closer together.

Stella wrapped him in a hug that nearly crushed him. ''We thought you'd never wake up.''

He awkwardly patted her back until she released him. ''Well, I did.''

''It's good to have you back, Oz,'' Emily said.

''Thanks, Goth Queen.''

The two of them had been acquaintances since freshman year. They didn't hang out often—and when they did it was usually always during detention—but they had a mutual respect for one another. She also happened to be one of the only people at their school who really knew what happened the night Oscar's parents died.

Looking around, he realized Andre and Chase weren't with them.

''Where's the big guy and that new kid?''

Theo gestured behind him and at the giant glass tubes with the floating bodies inside. ''They're in the tubes getting tested.''

Everything about that sentence sounded wrong.

Oscar furrowed his brows upon realizing Theo and the girls were wearing matching black leotards. At least, that's what they looked like; they were skin-tight with long sleeves and colored lines woven in intricate patterns. ''What's up with the costumes? You guys about to go to a ballet recital or something?''

Theo chortled while Emily shook her head at his joke.

''Director Shaw called them bio-suits,'' Stella told him. ''I'm not really sure what they do, though....''

''They're really tight that's for sure,'' Emily grumbled while pulling at the matte material.

Oscar didn't envy them.

A hand dropped onto his shoulder. Craning his neck upward, he noticed it was Director Shaw's. ''They were made to adjust to your bodies and assist with your newfound abilities. For example, Theo's helps aid him against air friction and changing pressure systems.''

He pretended to know what any of that meant.

Theo's eyes lit up at the mention of his suit's capabilities. ''Wanna see something cool, Oz?''

''Not really, man.''

He'd already seen and heard enough weird stuff for the day. He wasn't sure if he was physically and mentally ready for more. In fact, his head was still spinning from when Director Shaw told him he was fire resistant.

Of course, Theo ignored him.

Grinning, the boy dropped to one knee and extended one of his legs back, straightening his lanky arms as he pressed his palms against the ground. He looked like a sprinter preparing to explode out from their blocks. ''I've been practicing this for a few days now. Hopefully I don't burn my shoes off this time.''

Burn his shoes? He turned to Emily and Stella. ''What's he talking about?''

''Just watch,'' Stella said cryptically.