eleven

Being squished together inside of a closet with Andre the Giant was not high on Oscar's list of things to do that day.

It wasn't on his list at all.

Before the soldiers returned to the room, everyone frantically searched for cover. Chase and Stella dove underneath a table, Emily somehow managed to climb back up into the ventilation shaft, and Theo zipped across the room and slinked behind a wall.

They had taken all the good hiding spots, so he and Andre were forced inside a cramped supply closet. He peered through the tiny slits in the door. Four guards entered the room, their harsh glares scanning the room for any sign of life.

''You said you heard voices?''

''Yeah, it sounded like there was someone in here.''

Oscar seized up as a guard started to approach the closet. Beside him, Andre clenched his jaw and squeezed his eyes shut. The metal from the closet covered his skin, allowing to slightly blend in with his surroundings. Oscar, on the other hand, would've been spotted as soon as the door opened.

Right as the man reached for the handle, the ventilation shaft above the room creaked with movement. The mercenary aimed his gun at the opened grate in the ceiling. Squinting, his hand tightened around his weapon. ''Someone's up there.''

Moments later, Apex and Frost burst into the room wearing annoyed expressions.

''What are you doing?'' Frost asked, glaring at a guard. He pointed at the ceiling.

Oscar hoped Emily wasn't still there.

The vents creaked again.

Either a very large animal managed to sneak into the shaft or Emily was screwed. He had a feeling it was the second option.

One of the guard's radios went off. A warbled voice revealed that they were still battling the Atlas agents outside. They also spoke of how six teenagers infiltrated the lab.

Apex growled and gripped his weapon. He searched around the room, his red irises burning. ''They're in here somewhere.''

Oscar peaked at Andre. The two of shared a glance. He diverted his attention to exit door, which happened to just be across from the closet they stood inside of.

If they could manage to sprint past the Kismet soldiers and out of the room....

He turned back to Andre. The other boy nodded, seemingly knowing what Oscar was planning. Taking a breath, he held up his hand and began a countdown.

5.

''Find them,'' Apex barked at his men. ''Follow the vents. Kill whoever is inside.''

4.

''Yes, sir!"

3.

He dismissed them and they began making their way out the room.

2.

Nodding at his companion one last time, Oscar closed his hand into a fist.

1.

Leading with his shoulder, Andre ripped the double doors of their hinges and sprung from the closet. Oscar swallowed the lump of fear and anxiety that formed in his throat and followed closely after Andre, his head ducked low.

The remaining Kismet guards, Apex, and Frost turned around, enraged looks on their faces as they watched the two teenagers bolt out of the room.

''After them!'' Frost commanded.