twenty-two

Chase watched as Victoria entered the view of the security camera.

Minutes before, she expressed her desire to see her brother. She claimed she'd be able to get him to talk. Director Shaw was against it. However, she'd made too many good points for him to decline. He sent two other agents inside The Grid with her for protection. It wasn't like she needed it. There was a reason why Victoria was one of Atlas' best agents. And it wasn't because she was the director's daughter.

Chase watched as the girl approached Apex's cell.

''Open cell G-1,'' the director ordered.

''As you wish, Mr. Shaw,'' P.A.I replied. A panel underneath the security feeds blinked with red lights. One of them clicked, turning green upon the director's request. Inside The Grid, the glass door popped out a few inches from the wall. As Victoria entered inside, the two guards at her side aimed their rifles at the sitting Apex.

He opened one eye, intrigued.

Once Victoria was in the cell, Director Shaw had the door closed.

Chase observed Victoria as she carefully approached her brother.

''Was wondering when you'd come see me,'' he said. Both of his eyes were opened now and he'd gotten to his feet. Seeing the siblings in close proximity only made them look even more similar. Chase felt stupid for not figuring it out before.

''What a pleasant surprise.''

Victoria appeared to be unamused. In fact, she looked uncomfortable. She kept a hand on the pistol at her hip, her gaze steely as ever. ''How do you plan on contacting Kismet? We know that's why you're here.''

He laughed through his nose, the noise crackling through the speakers in the security room Chase and the others stood in. The blond watched on intently, awaiting the Prime's response.

''Straight to it, eh? It's been, what, a decade? No hi? No 'I missed you, big brother'?''

''I'm not playing your games.''

Apex seemed disappointed with her response. Nodding, he began pacing around the room. The guards outside the cell bristled. Victoria waved for them to stand down.

''I see he's turned you into one of his soldiers. How's dad been treating you? Hopefully he hasn't neglected you like he did to me.''

Victoria's lip twitched.

Chase turned to Director Shaw, who kept his face forward. Though, the look on his face suggested the last comment struck something within him. Before now, Chase never even thought about the Shaws' upbringing. From the sound of it, they'd been groomed into fighters at a young age. He scowled. That life was all too familiar to him.

It wasn't a glamorous life. He wouldn't wish it on anyone. While he loved his father, the man wasn't the best when it came to emotions. Or actual parenting. All he knew was war and battle. That's what he passed down onto his son. Not to mention the feelings of abandonment Chase felt whenever his father got deployed.

He hated it.

Chase rubbed his chin at the thought of Apex being an Atlas agent. Had he not been kidnapped by Kane, that would've been a reality. He couldn't imagine him being on the good side. It felt unnatural. Apex was built for the darkness; he embodied it. It was him.

Inside the cell, Victoria kept prodding him for an answer. With each question, he'd deflect it with one of his own. He kept prying into her life, seemingly trying to get a recap on their time a part. It was interesting to witness. He genuinely wanted to know how she'd been getting on while she got to grow up with her father while he was subjected to a life with Kane.