thirty

Chase felt like he was in a movie scene. It was the type of scene where the protagonists walked in slow motion across the screen as they headed into battle.

Except, if they died, it didn't really matter; it was a movie. If he died, that was it for him. No respawn. No nothing. He'd be down for the count. That couldn't happen. He had a job to do; he was tasked with leading the squad—which had been allocated a few extra agents. Whether he liked it or not, he was responsible for their lives and the success of this mission.

He felt the pressure sitting up his shoulders. It weighed him down like the titan Atlas, burdened with holding up the sky for eternity.

His fingers tapped against the arm rest of his seat as the jet soared through the gray sky. The sword strapped to his back felt heavy than usual. He stared out the window, the rain hitting the glass like bullets.

Behind him, he could hear Theo muttering to himself. He spoke so fast that Chase couldn't even understand him. ''This is crazy. Like seriously crazy. Did I mention how crazy this is?''

''Theo,'' Emily said from across the aisle.

''Yeah?''

''Shut up.''

Nodding, the brown-haired speedster gulped and followed orders. He resorted to fiddling with his inhaler, which he brought with him on the mission. There was no telling when he'd suffer an asthma attack.

''Yo,'' Oscar called out from the back of the jet. ''How long is this flight to Alaska gonna be? I gotta pee.''

Stella rolled her eyes. ''We told you to go before we left.''

''Well I didn't have to go then.''

Chase cracked a smile, but it disappeared just as fast as it came. His mind was bogged down by the anxiety sitting on top of his heart.

''We're about two hours out,'' the pilot, an agent who went by Blackbird, answered. Along with Cutter, Precision, and Demolition—their heavy artillery specialist—were among the other agents partaking in the mission to Adak Island.

There were ten of them in total on the jet. Director Shaw allowed three other ten-man squads too go out on the mission. The surprise attack on The Acropolis left their numbers depleted. They were going to have to make do with what they had.

The three other teams were tasked with providing cover and fighting off the Kismet soldiers while Chase's company searched for Kane and the Asclepius machine.

It was their job to end this. Once and for all.

Time crawled by slower than a snail moving along a trail of molasses

Time crawled by slower than a snail moving along a trail of molasses. Chase tried his best to stay calm, to keep his head clear, but that was proving harder than normal. His bright eyes kept traveling to the window even though he couldn't see anything. The clouds were opaque, dense with freezing precipitation.