twenty-three

Despite her protests, Director Shaw's daughter had been ordered to rest in one of the beds while she got her neck looked at. It turned out her trachea was bruised and would be sore for a few days. Victoria was tough, though. Emily had no doubts she'd recover in no time.

While she and Stella sat in the room waiting for Chase and the director to come back from The Grid, an explosion rocked The Acropolis. Her ears told her it originated from below her. She could hear the faint crackling of fire and alarms wailing.

Something had happened. She turned to Stella. ''You heard that right?''

Nodding, she shifted uncomfortably in her seat. ''What do you think it was?''

''I've got no clue, but it can't be good.''

That was when they arrived.

A flashbang and two smoke grenades rolled into the infirmary like dice. They bounced against the tiled floor before exploding. Stella reacted quickly pressed her palms against each other, suppressing the blinding light from the bomb. The smoke grenades burst, filling the room with sulfuric clouds.

The three girls in the infirmary coughed, covering their eyes as they tried working out what exactly was happening. Heavy footsteps entered the room. Through the thick veil, Emily made out the silhouettes of multiple masked soldiers with assault weapons in their hands. The red breathing apparatuses over their faces told her all she needed to know.

''It's Kismet!" she coughed out.

''Secure the target!" barked one of the mercenaries. The others acknowledged the order and rushed the room.

Emily's eyes narrowed. Target? What target? She didn't have time to work out who they were after. If she didn't get to cover soon, she'd be massacred. There was a counter to her side. Without thinking, she dove behind it. Seconds later, gunfire rang out in the air.

Glass shattered and small bursts of fire interrupted the smoke around her. She pressed her hands against her ears, protecting them from the abrasive noises.

''They're after Victoria!'' Stella yelled over the rounds.

Emily nodded. They needed to protect her. If Kismet was here, there was a high probability that the earlier explosion had something to do with them. A strong feeling in the pit of her stomach told her it came from The Grid. Chase and Director Shaw had still been down there. Her heart dropped.

What if they didn't make it out?

She shook her head. She couldn't think like that. Not now, at least. Her survival, along with Stella's and Victoria's, was her top priority.

A slew of curses flew from her mouth. She didn't have her bow or her arrows. That meant she'd have to use her ability for once. She wasn't looking forward to the strain it put on her throat, but it'd be worth it if she survived.

Leaning to the side, she peaked around her cover. There were at least five Kismet soldiers in the room. One stood at the door, two skirted along the edges of the room, and the other pair cut through the center.

Victoria's bed was at the back. If Emily managed to pick off the guard at the door, she might've stood a chance at handling the others. She had no idea where Stella was, meaning they wouldn't be able to work together on this one.

She took a calming breath.

Rolling out from behind the counter, she unleased a powerful stream of sound from her vocal cords. Rings of sonic energy shot toward the man standing at the door. They hit his chest, sending him flying into the corridor.